How high do you need to be to weigh 69.7 percent of your surface weight?

In summary, the correct way to solve this problem is to set up the equation as 0.697(mg) = m(GM/r^2) and solve for r, taking into account the radius of Earth. This will give you the distance from the surface where you would weigh 69.7 percent of your surface weight.
shabut NAA
How far above the surface of Earth would you weigh 69.7 percent of your surface weight?

This is the work I've done but something isn't right and I'm not getting the right answer:

69.7(9.8)=6.67x10^-11(5.98x10^24)/r^2 = 683.06 = 3.98x10^14/r^2

r= 763329.61m (Incorrect)

someone please help me??

Physics news on Phys.org
shabut NAA said:
How far above the surface of Earth would you weigh 69.7 percent of your surface weight?

This is the work I've done but something isn't right and I'm not getting the right answer:

someone please help me??

[tex]\vec{w}_0=m\vec{g}[/tex] and [tex]\vec{w}=0.697m\vec{g}[/tex]. Mass remains constant so what's your [tex]\Delta\vec{g}[/tex] and how does this relate with your system?

Not really sure what g you're referring to, but I can give you the Gravitational Constant and the mass of earth:

Gravitational Constant= 6.67x10-11
Mass of Earth= 5.98x1024

shabut NAA said:
Not really sure what g you're referring to, but I can give you the Gravitational Constant and the mass of earth:

Gravitational Constant= 6.67x10-11
Mass of Earth= 5.98x1024

There you go. And the radius of the Earth; that'll give you your [tex]\vec{g}[/tex] at positions near the surface of the Earth. You'll want to compare this with those radii which make your weight--your mass times the gravitational force acting upon you--0.697 what it is at the surface.

shabut NAA said:

someone please help me??

First of all, you multlplied g (=9.81 m/s^2) by 69.7: but what you need is the radius where the acceleration is 0.697 times g.

Second, once you have found r, you have to subtract the radius of Earth: the question asks "how far from the surface of Earth".

And if I may add a third hint: you don't have to know G or M (mass of Earth) to answer this question: those quantities drop out. The ratio of weights at different heights only depends on the ratio of r's.

1. What is altitude for specific weight?

Altitude for specific weight is the height or elevation above sea level at which a specific weight of air can be found. It is often used in atmospheric studies and aviation calculations.

2. How is altitude for specific weight calculated?

Altitude for specific weight is calculated by using a formula that takes into account the air pressure, temperature, and density at a given altitude. This formula is known as the International Standard Atmosphere (ISA) model.

3. Why is altitude for specific weight important?

Altitude for specific weight is important because it affects the performance of aircraft and the behavior of gases in the atmosphere. It is also used in weather forecasting and understanding the Earth's climate.

4. How does altitude for specific weight change with elevation?

As elevation increases, the altitude for specific weight also increases. This is because air pressure and density decrease with altitude, causing the specific weight of air to decrease as well.

5. Is there a standard altitude for specific weight?

No, there is no standard altitude for specific weight as it varies depending on location, weather conditions, and other factors. However, the ISA model provides a standard reference for calculating altitude for specific weight.