Calculating forces at pivots point in 4 bar linkages

In summary, the conversation is about designing a full suspension mountain bike with a 4 bar rear suspension. The main question is how to calculate the forces at each pivot and the first moment. The speaker is unsure about the details and is seeking clarification. A diagram has been included but it is not clear which specific pivot and reaction force is being referred to.
rbx
First off all a big hello to all board members.

I'm designing a full suspension mountain bike the rear suspension use's a 4 bar design.
My question is..

I have found the reaction force at the rear axle, now i want to calculate forces in each pivot

My question is as follows..

Is the first moment calculated by multiplying the force at the axle X the distance to the center of curvature of the linkage?

Are the other moments calculated by multiplying the force X distance to their physical pivot?

i included a pic of the design

Attachments

• MARS1.jpg
    MARS1.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 749
Physics news on Phys.org
I am unable to relate the question to the diagram. What reaction force at the rear axle, and what pivot?
In general, you figure out the line of action of the force and the perpendicular distance from that to the pivot, then multiply the force by that distance.

1. What is a 4 bar linkage?

A 4 bar linkage is a mechanical system made up of four rigid bars connected by pivot points, also known as joints. This system is commonly used in machines and mechanisms to transfer motion and force.

2. How do you calculate forces at pivot points in a 4 bar linkage?

In order to calculate the forces at pivot points in a 4 bar linkage, you will need to use the principles of statics and apply equations such as the law of conservation of momentum and the law of conservation of energy. This involves analyzing the geometry and kinematics of the system, as well as the forces and torques acting on each bar.

3. What factors affect the forces at pivot points in a 4 bar linkage?

The forces at pivot points in a 4 bar linkage are affected by several factors, including the length and orientation of the bars, the location and magnitude of applied forces, and the type of joints used. These factors can impact the stability, efficiency, and overall performance of the mechanism.

4. How does the number of links in a 4 bar linkage affect the forces at pivot points?

The number of links in a 4 bar linkage can significantly impact the forces at pivot points. In general, the more links there are in a linkage, the more complex the force analysis becomes. A larger number of links can also introduce more joints, which can affect the stability and accuracy of the mechanism.

5. What are some real-world applications of 4 bar linkages?

4 bar linkages have a wide range of applications in various industries, including automotive, aerospace, robotics, and machinery. They are commonly used in steering mechanisms, suspension systems, and robotic arms. They can also be found in everyday objects such as scissors, pliers, and even door hinges.