Frequency of AC circuit with inductor

In summary, the voltage across an inductor reaches its maximum value 22ms before the current supplied by the generator reaches its maximum value. To find the lowest possible frequency at which the generator operates, the equation V=V_(max)sin(wt+90) can be used, where w is the angular speed equal to 2pi(f), and f is the frequency of the generator. It is also important to note that the voltage across an inductor leads the current by 90 degrees, indicating that 90 degrees of rotation takes 22 ms. By finding the full rotation time of 88 s and dividing it by two pi, the frequency of the generator can be determined. However, frequency is simply 1 over the period
etagg

Homework Statement

The voltage across and inductor reaches its maximum value 22ms before the current supplied by the generator reaches its maximum value. What is the lowest possible frequency at which the generator operates?

Homework Equations

I used the equation V=V_(max)sin(wt+90), where w is the angular speed equal to 2pi(f), where f is the frequency of the generator.
I also used the equation I=I_(max)sin(w(t+22ms))=I_(max)

The Attempt at a Solution

I recognized that the voltage across an inductor has its maximum value when sin(wt+90)=1, or wt+90=90. This obviously means that wt=0, and i could not get a frequency from that.

I then looked at when the current is maximal, or when w(t+22ms)=90, and again i got stuck.

I think I am missing something simple.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know that the voltage across an inductor leads the current by 90 degrees? What does that tell you about the period of oscillation

Well i knew that the voltage across and inductor leads by 90 degrees, which is why i used the equation V=V_(max)sin(wt+90).

If the voltage leads the current by 90 degrees, it means that when the voltage is a maximum the current is zero. I am not sure how that would help me?

Well, it tells you that 90 degrees of rotation takes 22 ms. How long does it take for a complete revolution? What is the corresponding frequency?

ohhh so then the full rotation is 4*22s= 88s and then divided by two pi is the frequency? Thanks so much for your help jdstokes

etagg said:
ohhh so then the full rotation is 4*22s= 88s and then divided by two pi is the frequency? Thanks so much for your help jdstokes

Actually, frequency is just 1 over the period which you found to be 88 s. Angular frequency is the number of radias per second, ie 2*pi*frequency. But you have the idea.

What is the frequency of an AC circuit with an inductor?

The frequency of an AC circuit with an inductor is determined by the inductance of the circuit and the capacitance of any capacitors in the circuit. It is typically measured in Hertz (Hz).

How does an inductor affect the frequency of an AC circuit?

An inductor in an AC circuit causes the current to lag behind the voltage, creating a phase shift. This results in a lower frequency in the circuit.

Can the frequency of an AC circuit with an inductor be changed?

Yes, the frequency of an AC circuit with an inductor can be changed by altering the inductance or capacitance in the circuit. This can be done by adding or removing inductors or capacitors, or by adjusting their values.

What is the relationship between frequency and reactance in an AC circuit with an inductor?

The reactance of an inductor in an AC circuit is directly proportional to the frequency. This means that as the frequency increases, the reactance of the inductor also increases.

Why is the frequency of an AC circuit with an inductor important?

The frequency of an AC circuit with an inductor is important because it affects the behavior of the circuit. It determines the amount of current that can flow through the circuit and the overall efficiency of the circuit.