Intermediate undergraduate quantum text

In summary, the speaker was previously a physics major and has a strong background in mathematics. They are considering dual majoring in physics and mathematics and are looking for recommendations on books to read about quantum physics. They have been suggested two books, Introduction to Quantum Mechanics by David Griffiths and Quantum Mechanics and the Particles of Nature: An Outline for Mathematicians by Anthony Sudbery, both of which have a strong focus on mathematics. The speaker expresses gratitude for the recommendations and plans to check them out.
jimmypoopins
hello all. originally i was a physics major and took "modern physics" which briefly covered nuclear, particle, and quantum physics. i switched majors to math, and now I'm thinking of dual majoring in physics and mathematics, but i'd like to read a little bit about quantum physics before i go about trying the physics thing again.

i've got a pretty good mathematics background, with a year of linear algebra, ODE, a semester of number theory and abstract algebra, and a semester of analysis under my belt, so i should be able to understand most of what can be tossed at me mathematically.

let me know if you guys have any good recommendations.

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
A standard physics text is Introduction to Quantum Mechanic by David Griffiths.

You might also want to look at Quantum Mechanics and the Particles of Nature: An Outline for Mathematicians by Anthony Sudbery. This book was written for final-year British mathematics students. This book, unlike many physics books, has nice, crisp, somewhat abstract mathematics, but it does not dwell on mathematical rigour, and, unlike physics books, it doesn't spend much time solving differential equations.

awesome, thanks! i'll check them out

1. What is "Intermediate undergraduate quantum text"?

"Intermediate undergraduate quantum text" refers to a textbook or educational material that covers the foundational principles and theories of quantum mechanics at an intermediate level. It is typically aimed at undergraduate students who have already completed a basic course in quantum mechanics and have a solid understanding of the fundamental concepts.

2. What topics are typically covered in an intermediate undergraduate quantum text?

Some common topics covered in an intermediate undergraduate quantum text include quantum states and operators, measurement and observables, quantum dynamics, angular momentum, and spin, as well as more advanced topics such as entanglement, quantum computing, and quantum information theory.

3. Is prior knowledge of quantum mechanics necessary to understand an intermediate undergraduate quantum text?

Yes, it is recommended to have a basic understanding of quantum mechanics before diving into an intermediate undergraduate quantum text. This will ensure a smoother understanding of the concepts and principles discussed in the text.

4. Are there any prerequisites for studying an intermediate undergraduate quantum text?

Typically, a solid background in mathematics, particularly in linear algebra and calculus, is necessary for understanding an intermediate undergraduate quantum text. Some knowledge of classical mechanics and electromagnetism may also be helpful.

5. How can an intermediate undergraduate quantum text be used in education or research?

An intermediate undergraduate quantum text can serve as a valuable resource for students studying quantum mechanics in undergraduate programs. It can also be used as a reference for researchers in the field, providing a comprehensive overview of the key concepts and theories in quantum mechanics.