This upper limit is wrong I need a help

• Thread starter norbert
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the upper limit for the function ψ(r) is wrong, as it is Integrable but has an upper limit that is not correct.
norbert
this upper limit is wrong...! I need a help

I have some concerns about this text:

it can easily be shown that F satisfies all the criteria of a vector space. As an example, we demostrate that if

[tex]\psi_{1}(r)[/tex] and [tex]\psi_{2}(r)[/tex] [tex]\in[/tex] F

both can be cosidered to be complex functions
then:

[tex]\psi(r) [/tex] [tex] = \lambda_{1}\psi_{1}(r) + \lambda_{2}\psi_{2}(r)[/tex] [tex]\in[/tex] F (A-1)

where [tex]\lambda_{1}[/tex] and [tex]\lambda_{2}[/tex] are two arbitrary complex numbers

In order to show that [tex]\psi(r)^{2}[/tex] is square integrable

expand [tex]\psi(r)^{2}[/tex] :

[tex]\psi(r)^{2}[/tex] [tex] = |\lambda_{1}|^{2}|\psi_{1}(r)|^{2} + |\lambda_{2}|^{2} |\psi_{2}(r)|^{2} + \lambda_{1}^\ast\lambda_2\psi_1^\ast(r)\psi_2(r) + \lambda_1\lambda_2^\ast\psi_1(r)\psi_2^\ast(r)[/tex] (A-2)

(*) simbol means complex-conjugate

The last two terms of (A-2) have the same modulus, which has as an upper limit:

----- [tex]|\lambda_{1}||\lambda_{2}| . [ |\psi_{1}(r)|^{2} + |\psi_{2}(r)|^{2}][/tex] -----

[tex]|\psi(r)|^{2}[/tex] is therefore smaller than a function whose integral converges, since [tex]\psi_{1}(r)[/tex] and [tex]\psi_{2}(r)[/tex] are square-integrable

The questions are:

Why has the author used the above expression as "upper limit" term?

How did he obtain this expression?

What is the relation of this question with "triangular inequality" referred to complex-variable?

see --- Churchill complex variables and applications ----
can anybody explain me it a little better?

all suggestions will be welcome

thank you all

Physics news on Phys.org

As for why: He used that to show that each term is integrable, by showing that |ψ(r)|2 is smaller than a combination of integrable functions, so that |ψ(r)|2 is integrable.

As for how: That follows from the fact that 2ab ≤ a2 + b2. (This can be proven by noting that 0 ≤ (a - b)2 = a2 + b2 -2ab.) In this case, a = |ψ1(r)| and b = |ψ2(r)|. I don't see any immediate connection with the triangle inequality.

Hi adriank
I am grateful for your help
really there is no connection with the triangle inequality
I can set the last two terms of (A-3) equation to constant a and b respectively
hence using the 2ab < a^2 + b^2 relation I can obtain the upper limit:

[tex]|\lambda_{1}||\lambda_{2}| . [ |\psi_{1}(r)|^{2} + |\psi_{2}(r)|^{2}][/tex]

since these terms have the same modulus

thank you

1. What is the upper limit and why is it wrong?

The upper limit refers to the maximum value that can be reached or exceeded in a given situation. It can be wrong if it is based on incorrect assumptions, data, or calculations.

2. How can I determine if the upper limit is wrong?

You can determine if the upper limit is wrong by carefully examining the assumptions, data, and calculations that were used to establish it. If any of these are incorrect, the upper limit may also be incorrect.

3. What can I do if I need help with the upper limit?

If you need help with the upper limit, you can consult with other experts in your field, conduct further research, or seek assistance from a mentor or advisor. It is important to ensure that any help you receive is from a reliable and credible source.

4. Can the upper limit be changed or adjusted?

Yes, the upper limit can be changed or adjusted if new information or evidence is presented that challenges the existing assumptions, data, or calculations. However, this should only be done after careful consideration and evaluation.

5. How important is it to accurately determine the upper limit?

Accurately determining the upper limit is crucial in making informed decisions and predictions. If the upper limit is wrong, it can lead to unexpected outcomes and consequences, potentially causing harm or loss. Therefore, it is important to carefully establish and validate the upper limit.