1D Particle in a box - locations at set probability

In summary, the task is to find the location of the points in a confined region where an electron has a 50% probability of being found, given a specific state. The probability is determined by the wavefunction squared, which can be simplified to a sine squared function. To find the maximum value of this function, one can use differentiation or inspection. The maximum value of the sine function is 1, and by manipulating the equation, the location of the points can be determined.
Nykrus

Homework Statement

An electron is confined to the region of the x-axis between x = 0 and x = L (where L = 1nm). Given a state n = 3, find the location of the points in the box at which the probability of finding the electron is half it's maximum value

Homework Equations

[tex]\psi^2(x)=\frac{2}{L}\sin^2\left(\frac{n\pi x}{L}\right)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that the wavefunction squared (above) gives the probability at location x, and its integration gives the probability over set regions between x = 0 and x = l. However, the only way I can see of finding x from a given probability is to assume:

[tex]\psi^2(x)=0.5[/tex]

and try to manipulate the equation to give it in terms of x. Is this the right method? If so, how do I take out the sine term?

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
Ah, I see - half the maximum value. I'm guessing it'd only be 1 if we were considering the entire box, not one point.

Alright, so you determine the maxima by differentiation?

[tex]\frac{d\psi^2(x)}{dx}=2\sin\left(\frac{n\pi x}{L}\right)\cos\left(\frac{n\pi x}{L}\right)=0[/tex]

The rigorous way to determine the maxima would be by differentiation, as you said. However, ψ2 has a fairly simple formula and from what you know about sine functions, you should be able to see the maximum value by inspection.

Hmmm... okay, let's simplify this: 2/L is just a constant, and so's [tex]\frac{n\pi}{L}[/tex], so that gives us:

[tex]\psi^2(x)=A\sin^2\left(ax)[/tex]

Sine functions go to 1 when ax = 90, and since sin2(ax) is :

[tex]\sin^2\left(ax) = \sin\left(ax)\sin\left(ax)[/tex]

This means... I'm seriously clutching at straws

Hey, I'm a chemist - I'm amazed I've managed this much

What is the largest value sin(x) can give?

Being a chemist is no excuse for not knowing math (unless of course, you're a biochemist :p)!

The maximum of sin(x) is 1

1. What is a 1D particle in a box?

A 1D particle in a box refers to a theoretical model used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of a particle confined to a one-dimensional space, such as a particle trapped inside a box with impenetrable walls.

2. How is the location of a 1D particle in a box determined?

The location of a 1D particle in a box is determined by the probability distribution function, which calculates the likelihood of finding the particle at a specific position within the box. The higher the probability at a certain position, the more likely it is for the particle to be located there.

3. What is the significance of set probabilities in a 1D particle in a box?

The set probabilities in a 1D particle in a box represent the likelihood of finding the particle at a specific location within the box. These probabilities are determined by the energy level of the particle and the dimensions of the box. They play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of quantum particles and their confinement in a limited space.

4. How does the energy level affect the location probabilities in a 1D particle in a box?

The energy level of a 1D particle in a box determines the number and spacing of its allowed energy states. This, in turn, affects the location probabilities of the particle. Higher energy levels correspond to a higher number of allowed energy states and therefore a higher probability of finding the particle in different locations within the box.

5. Can the location of a 1D particle in a box be precisely determined?

No, the location of a 1D particle in a box cannot be precisely determined due to the inherent uncertainty in quantum mechanics. The Heisenberg uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. Therefore, the location of a 1D particle in a box can only be described in terms of probabilities.