Testing methods of contaminated jet fuel

In summary, private jet owners should contact local suppliers to see what their quality control procedures are for jet fuel.
djeitnstine
Gold Member
Hi, as I've stated before I am doing research in the area of jet fuel contamination. However I have shifted my focus to methods of testing. I know many of you work in the aerospace industry. What I need to know if there are any "popular" or "standard" methods you use at your company or perhaps any other information useful on testing.

My aim is to find out what method(s) would be suitable for private jet owners weighing factors such as cost, time, frequency of testing etc..

Thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is actually pretty interesting. Please post whatever results you find. Have you tried google?

www.googlescholar.com[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah yes I forgot about that service, thank you. Sure I will post my results. What I would also like is for any engineer to give me a run-down on any tests their company uses for contamination. I have not had any luck singling out any methods to categorize within the scope of my research.

I just need a little help narrowing things down a bit.

We don't test for contamination on site. It does highly depend on what kind of contamination you are referring to. We rely on the supplier to provide a product within specifications. It is our responsibility to maintain our fuel tanks and systems to prevent contamination of any kind from being introduced into our end product. Many private owners are the same way. That being said we do have many filter points in our farm system that protect our products. The biggest concern is entrained water in the fuel.

ASTM D-1655 is the basis for Jet-A distillation and contains many of the quality control parameters for the refining of the fuel.
http://www.aviationfuel.org/jetfuel/d1655_specs.asp

ASTM has a very large volume on Aircraft fuel system quality control:
http://www.astm.org/BOOKSTORE/PUBS/1573.htm

It would be time well spent to contact some local suppliers to see what their QC folks follow.

Last edited by a moderator:
FredGarvin said:
We don't test for contamination on site. It does highly depend on what kind of contamination you are referring to.

Sorry for my lack of being specific. But microbial (fungal,yeast, sulfur reducing...) contamination.

Last edited:

1. What are the most common testing methods for contaminated jet fuel?

The most common testing methods for contaminated jet fuel include visual inspection, density measurement, and laboratory analysis using gas chromatography.

2. How does visual inspection detect contaminated jet fuel?

Visual inspection involves checking for any visible signs of contamination, such as discoloration, sediment, or water droplets in the fuel. This method is quick and easy, but not always reliable as some contaminants may not be visible.

3. What is the purpose of density measurement in testing for contaminated jet fuel?

Density measurement is used to determine the specific gravity of the fuel, which can indicate the presence of contaminants. If the density is higher or lower than the average for the specific jet fuel type, it could be an indication of contamination.

4. How does gas chromatography help in identifying contaminants in jet fuel?

Gas chromatography is a laboratory analysis method that separates the different components of a fuel sample. By analyzing the individual components, it can identify the presence of contaminants and their type and concentration.

5. Are there any other testing methods for contaminated jet fuel besides visual inspection and laboratory analysis?

Yes, there are other methods such as water separation tests, filter paper tests, and conductivity tests. However, these methods are less commonly used and may not be as accurate as visual inspection and laboratory analysis.