EE, Node voltages, can't figure out how to reach end result

• Thread starter rod1866
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ee Figure
In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving finding unknown node voltages in a circuit. The equations for the three unknowns are set up using KCL, but there is a mistake in one of the equations. The method for solving the system of equations is algebraic substitution, where each equation is solved for one variable and then plugged into the next equation. This process can be done more easily with the use of calculators and computers for more complex circuits.
rod1866
hey I'm stumped with a question that deals with finding unknown node voltages as I only know how to complete part of the problem. here is the circuit, sorry for the crude MSPaint I do not have a working scanner here.

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/8730/circuiti.png

the answers are

v1 = 16.97V
v2 = 23.85V
v3 = 16.06V

I am stuck trying to figure out how these have been reached

First I tried KCL to get three equations on each of the three unknowns

v1

(v1-v3) / 20 + (v1 - v2) / 20 + v1 / 5 = 0

v2

(v2-v1) / 2 + (v2 - v3) / 5 - 5 = 0

v3

(v3 - v2) / 5 + (v3 - v1) / 20+ v3 / 10 = 0

I was told it is easy to put these together if it is imagined that the arbitrary current directions are thought to be leaving the node, except with v2 where the 5 amps are entering the node. apparently the answer will still be fine at the end of all of this.

at this point I have no clue how they manipulated these equations into finding the node voltages, what I keep reading is "use the equations to solve for node voltages" which means I'm missing something really obvious as they never bother to explain the process used to find the voltages. can someone please tell me what that is, I would really appreciate it as this is definitely the unit of study i need the most help with. thanks for reading.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi rod1866! Welcome to PF! :smile:

You must write each current (I1 I2 I3) on the diagram together with an arrow, or you'll get terribly confused with your pluses and minuses :frown:

which I think is what's happened

(btw, it doesn't matter which way round the arrow is … if you put it the "wrong" way round, you'll simply get an I that comes out negative :wink:)

It looks like he's written that for each node, the sum of all currents leaving the node is zero. But they aren't all correct. For starters, the first equation should have (v1 - v2)/2 not /20.

What you need to do here is solve the system of equations. There are several methods. The easiest to understand is algebraic substitution. You essentially want to solve each equation for one variable (either v1, v2 or v3) and then plug it into the next equation.

For example, if I gave you these equations:
x + y = 4
2x + 3y = 6

First, solve for x in the first equation:
x = 4 - y

Then plug that x into the second equation:
2(4 - y) + 3y = 6

And solve for that one variable:
8 - 2y + 3y = 6
y = -2

Plug it back into any of the others:
x + (-2) = 4

so, x = 6.

Essentially, EEs use calculators and computers for circuits with more than 3 non-ground nodes.

1. What are EE and Node Voltages?

EE stands for Electrical Engineering, which is the branch of engineering that deals with the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism. Node voltages refer to the voltages at different nodes or connection points in an electrical circuit.

2. How do I calculate node voltages in a circuit?

To calculate node voltages, you can use Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL) and Ohm's Law. KVL states that the sum of the voltages around a closed loop in a circuit must equal zero. Ohm's Law states that the voltage across a resistor is equal to the product of its resistance and the current flowing through it. By using these laws and applying them to the different loops in a circuit, you can solve for the node voltages.

3. What is the purpose of finding node voltages?

Finding node voltages is important in understanding the behavior of a circuit and determining the flow of current. It can also help in troubleshooting any issues in a circuit and optimizing its performance.

4. I can't figure out how to reach the end result in my circuit analysis. What should I do?

If you are having trouble reaching the end result in your circuit analysis, it may be helpful to break the circuit into smaller sections and solve for the node voltages in each section separately. You can then combine the solutions to get the overall result. It is also important to double check your calculations and make sure you are applying the correct laws and equations.

5. Are there any software programs that can help with circuit analysis and calculating node voltages?

Yes, there are many software programs available that can assist with circuit analysis and calculating node voltages. Some popular ones include LTspice, Multisim, and MATLAB. These programs can provide a visual representation of the circuit and allow for easier manipulation and analysis of the circuit variables.