How do I manipulate algebraic expressions?

In summary, the solutions manual for a calculus question takes \frac{2y^{2}}{4+y^{2}} and transforms it into \left(2-\frac{8}{4+y^{2}}\right). This is done by adding and subtracting 8 from the numerator. Another way to see this transformation is through long division.
Schniz2

Homework Statement

As part of a calculus question, the solutions manual takes [tex]\frac{2y^{2}}{4+y^{2}}[/tex]
And somehow turns it into [tex]\left(2-\frac{8}{4+y^{2}}\right)[/tex]

Ive scribbled all the things i can thinkof on paper and still can't seem to get from one to the other, its driving me nuts!

Any help would be much appreciated :D.

Cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
They appear to add 8 and subtract 8 from the numerator. That is,

[tex]\frac{2y^2}{4+y^2}=\frac{2y^2+8-8}{4+y^2}=\frac{2(4+y^2)-8}{4+y^2}=2-\frac{8}{4+y^2}[/tex]

cristo said:
They appear to add 8 and subtract 8 from the numerator. That is,

[tex]\frac{2y^2}{4+y^2}=\frac{2y^2+8-8}{4+y^2}=\frac{2(4+y^2)-8}{4+y^2}=2-\frac{8}{4+y^2}[/tex]

Ahhh, i feel like such a fool for not seeing that.

Thanks ;)

Another way to see that is simply "long division". [itex]y^2+ 0y+ 4[/itex] divides into [itex]2y^2+ 0y+ 0[/itex] 2 times with a remainder of [itex]2y^2- 2(y^2+ 4)= 2y^2-2y^2- 8= -8[/tex] so
[tex]\frac{2y^2}{y^2+ 4}= 2- \frac{8}{y^2+ 4}[/tex]

HallsofIvy said:
Another way to see that is simply "long division". [itex]y^2+ 0y+ 4[/itex] divides into [itex]2y^2+ 0y+ 0[/itex] 2 times with a remainder of [itex]2y^2- 2(y^2+ 4)= 2y^2-2y^2- 8= -8[/tex] so
[tex]\frac{2y^2}{y^2+ 4}= 2- \frac{8}{y^2+ 4}[/tex]

Thanks ;). Very clear to me now.

1. What is algebraic manipulation?

Algebraic manipulation is the process of rearranging and simplifying algebraic expressions using mathematical properties and rules.

2. Why is algebraic manipulation important?

Algebraic manipulation is important because it allows us to solve equations and evaluate expressions that involve variables, which are essential in many scientific and mathematical fields.

3. What are some common algebraic manipulation techniques?

Some common algebraic manipulation techniques include factoring, distributing, combining like terms, and using the properties of exponents and logarithms.

4. How do I determine the order of operations in algebraic manipulation?

The order of operations in algebraic manipulation is the same as in regular arithmetic: parentheses, exponents, multiplication and division (from left to right), and finally addition and subtraction (from left to right). However, this can be altered by using parentheses or brackets to specify a different order.

5. Can algebraic manipulation be used in real life?

Yes, algebraic manipulation is used in many real-life situations, such as calculating interest rates, managing finances, and solving problems in engineering and science. It is also used in computer programming and data analysis.