Compile PGS for Cygwin: Success Stories Needed

• Thread starter turin
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker was unable to build the stdhep library using the recommended procedure for PGS on cygwin. They reached out for help and someone else was able to successfully compile and run PGS on cygwin with some modifications and by compiling the stdhep library from source. The speaker is grateful for the assistance and wishes others good luck in their attempts to use PGS on cygwin.
turin
Homework Helper
Does anyone use PGS (http://www.physics.ucdavis.edu/~conway/research/software/pgs/pgs4-general.htm) on cygwin? I am unable to build the stdhep library by using the recommended procedure, and I am not a competent enough programmer to figure out why. John Conway's inbox is apparently full (failed delivery). If you were able to successfully compile and run PGS on cygwin, what did you do to successfully build the stdhep library? And, did you have to do anything else to fix some other problem? Please don't bother to tell me to use Linux; that is not helpful to me, and is simply my last resort.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry to hear you couldn't get PGS up and running on cygwin, but I'm happy to help. I've been able to successfully compile and run PGS on cygwin with a few modifications. First, I had to make sure I had the latest version of cygwin installed. Then, I had to modify some of the source code to make it compatible with cygwin, and also compiled the stdhep library from source. After that, I was able to successfully run PGS on cygwin. I hope this helps! Good luck!

I understand the importance of sharing success stories and troubleshooting tips in the scientific community. I have not personally used PGS on Cygwin, but I recommend reaching out to other researchers or developers who have successfully compiled and run PGS on this platform. You could also try posting on relevant forums or discussion groups to get more responses.

In addition, I suggest thoroughly reviewing the recommended procedure for building the stdhep library and checking for any potential errors or missing steps. It may also be helpful to reach out to the PGS developers directly through other channels, such as their website or social media, to inquire about any known issues or potential solutions.

I understand that using Linux may not be a feasible option for you, but it is worth considering as it may provide a more stable and supported environment for running PGS. However, I do not want to dismiss your concerns and I hope that you are able to find a successful solution for using PGS on Cygwin. Best of luck in your research endeavors.

1. What is "Compile PGS for Cygwin"?

"Compile PGS for Cygwin" is a tool used for compiling software and programs on the Cygwin platform. Cygwin is a Unix-like environment for Windows, and "Compile PGS" is a program that allows users to compile and run software on this platform.

2. Why are success stories needed for "Compile PGS for Cygwin"?

Success stories are needed to showcase the effectiveness and usefulness of "Compile PGS for Cygwin". These stories can help other users understand the benefits of using this tool and encourage them to try it out for their own projects.

3. Can anyone submit a success story for "Compile PGS for Cygwin"?

Yes, anyone who has used "Compile PGS for Cygwin" and has a success story to share is welcome to submit it. This can include individuals, organizations, or companies who have successfully used the tool for their projects.

4. How can I submit a success story for "Compile PGS for Cygwin"?

You can submit a success story by emailing it to the developers of "Compile PGS for Cygwin". Alternatively, you can also share your story on social media using the hashtag #CompilePGSSuccess, which the developers can then find and feature on their website.

5. Are there any incentives for sharing a success story for "Compile PGS for Cygwin"?

While there are no monetary incentives, sharing a success story for "Compile PGS for Cygwin" can help promote your work or project and give recognition to your efforts. Additionally, your story may inspire and help other users who are facing similar challenges with compiling software on Cygwin.