Proof of Constant Function Theorem (Saff&Snider)

In summary, the book's theorem states that if u(x,y) is a real-valued function defined in a domain D, and the first partial derivatives of u satisfy the conditions that u(x,y) = constan
daudaudaudau
My book (Saff&Snider) has the following theorem

Suppose u(x,y) is a real-valued function defined in a domain D. If the first partial derivatives of u satisfy

[tex]
\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}=\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}=0
[/tex]

at all points of D, then u=constant in D.

In the proof, the book says that since both partial derivatives are zero, u(x,y) is constant along any horizontal or vertical line segment. By definition two points in a domain can be connected by a polygonal path, and since such a path can be separated into horizontal and vertical line segments, any two points in the domain can be connected by a path consisting of horizontal and vertical lines. END PROOF.

But why not just do it like this

[tex]
u(x_1,y_1)-u(x_2,y_2) = \int_{(x_2,y_2)}^{(x_1,y_1)}\nabla u\cdot d\mathbf l
[/tex]

i.e. the difference between two points is given by the line integral above, and because the gradient is zero, so is the difference. This way I don't have to worry about whether a polygonal path can be separated into horizontal and vertical line segments.

Physics news on Phys.org
You would first have to prove that the formula you give is true. The fact that the partial derivatives exist does NOT necessarily mean that the function itself is differentiable which you need to be able to integrate like that.. One can show that if the partial derivatives exist and are continuous then the function is differentiable but if that itself had not yet been proven, the books proof is simpler.

I see. What about using the mean value theorem then?

[tex]
u(x_1,y_0)-u(x_0,y_0)=(x_1-x_0)\frac{\partial u(\xi_x,y_0)}{\partial x}=0
[/tex]

[tex]
u(x_1,y_1)-u(x_1,y_0)=(y_1-y_0)\frac{\partial u(x_1,\xi_y)}{\partial y}=0
[/tex]

And so it follows that

[tex]
u(x_1,y_1)=u(x_0,y_0)
[/tex]

(This is the way Apostol does it when the domain is an open disk)

But I guess this won't work because the domain may have holes in it ?

Or a better way would be to define the path between (x_0,y_0) and (x_1,y_1) to be r(t), with r(0)=(x_0,y_0) and r(1)=(x_1,y_1) and define f(t)=u(r(t)) and then the mean value theorem is
[tex]
f(1)-f(0)=f'(\xi)=\nabla u(r(\xi))\cdot r'(\xi)
[/tex]

But then you say that I still have to show that f(t) is differentiable? I guess this is true by the chain rule?

Sounds more like they wanted a simple proof using an "obvious" statement rather than getting mired in integrals, gradients, and partial derivatives. If the book is aimed at beginners, that kind of proof is much easier to understand than something overly technical. Also, it depends on how much prior knowledge the book assumes. If they haven't defined line integrals yet or haven't proved a particular theorem, they couldn't use it in a proof.

1. What is the Proof of Constant Function Theorem?

The Proof of Constant Function Theorem, also known as the Saff&Snider Constant Function Theorem, is a mathematical theorem that states that any complex-valued function that is analytic on an open connected set and has a constant modulus must also be a constant function.

2. What is the significance of the Proof of Constant Function Theorem?

The Proof of Constant Function Theorem is important because it provides a way to easily identify and prove that a function is constant. This can be useful in various mathematical and scientific applications, such as in complex analysis and physics.

3. What is the difference between the Saff&Snider Constant Function Theorem and the Cauchy-Riemann equations?

The Saff&Snider Constant Function Theorem is a specific application of the Cauchy-Riemann equations. While the Cauchy-Riemann equations provide a necessary and sufficient condition for a complex-valued function to be analytic, the Saff&Snider Constant Function Theorem specifically deals with functions that have a constant modulus.

4. Can the Proof of Constant Function Theorem be extended to functions with a non-constant modulus?

Yes, the Proof of Constant Function Theorem can be extended to functions with a non-constant modulus by using the Cauchy-Riemann equations. However, this would require additional conditions to be met, such as the function being continuously differentiable.

5. How is the Proof of Constant Function Theorem used in real-world applications?

The Proof of Constant Function Theorem has various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. For example, it can be used to prove that a flow of fluid is irrotational, which is important in fluid mechanics. It can also be used in signal processing and control theory to identify constant signals or systems.