Solving Mixture Problem ODE Homework

In summary: Yes thank you so the Domain is [0,500] and when t=146.446609 min our concentration is 2lbs/galIn summary, the problem involves a 500 gallon tank filled with pure water. A solution containing 4lbs of salt per gallon is added at a rate of 2 gallons per minute and drained at a rate of 3 gallons per minute. The question asks for the time it takes for the tank to achieve a concentration of 2lbs/gal and the domain of x(t), which represents the amount of salt in the tank at time t. Using the ODE x'+(3/(500-t))x=8 and the integrating factor e^\int(3/(500-t))dt
dipset24

Homework Statement

A 500 gallon tank is filled with pure water. A solution containing 4lbs of salt per gallon is added at a rate of 2 gallons per minute. The well-mixed solution is drained at a rate of 3 gallons per minute.

A) How long does it take for the container to achieve a concentration of 2lbs/gal?

B) What is the domain of x(t)?

Homework Equations

ODE

The Attempt at a Solution

I found x(t) to be (500-t)^2*(4000-t^2)

then I tried using x(t)/v(t)=2 lbs/gal and this is where I am stuck

Physics news on Phys.org
If x(t)=(500-t)^2*(4000-t^2), then if t=0 then x(0)=500^2*4000. What does that mean? What is x(t) supposed to be? What ODE did you solve? How did you get that strange answer?

x'+(3/(500-t))x=8 was the DE I used

I'm going to guess x(t) is the amount of salt. The ODE looks right. The solution doesn't. Can you show us more of how you solved it?

Last edited:
Integrating Factor

e^[tex]\int(3/(500-t))[/tex] dt = (500-t)^(-3)

Dt[tex]\int [(500-t)^(-3)*x]dt[/tex]=8[tex]\int(500-t)^(-3)[/tex]

(500-t)^(-3) X=4/(t-500)^2 + C

dipset24 said:
Integrating Factor

Dt[tex]\int [(500-t)^(-3)*x]dt[/tex]=8[tex]\int(500-t)^(-3)[/tex](500-t)^(-3) X=4/(t-500)^2 + C

That seems ok again. Now what's C? What is x(0) supposed to be?

Last edited:
dipset24 said:

Homework Statement

A 500 gallon tank is filled with pure water. A solution containing 4lbs of salt per gallon is added at a rate of 2 gallons per minute. The well-mixed solution is drained at a rate of 3 gallons per minute.

A) How long does it take for the container to achieve a concentration of 2lbs/gal?

B) What is the domain of x(t)?
Surely this is not the exact statement of the problem! There is NO "x(t)" in the original statement. What does x(t) mean here?

Homework Equations

ODE

The Attempt at a Solution

I found x(t) to be (500-t)^2*(4000-t^2)

then I tried using x(t)/v(t)=2 lbs/gal and this is where I am stuck

dipset24 said:
Integrating Factor

Dt[tex]\int [(500-t)^(-3)*x]dt[/tex]=8[tex]\int(500-t)^(-3)[/tex](500-t)^(-3) X=4/(t-500)^2 + C
The initial conditions are x(0)=0 since it is all pure water at time 0

After solving using the integrating factor my x(t)(pounds of salt)= -4(t-500)+c(t-500)^3

dipset24 said:
The initial conditions are x(0)=0 since it is all pure water at time 0

After solving using the integrating factor my x(t)(pounds of salt)= -4(t-500)+c(t-500)^3

Ok, but now you have to find C using x(0)=0. Then find where the concentration x(t)/(500-t)=2lbs/gallon, right?

Dick said:
Ok, but now you have to find C using x(0)=0. Then find where the concentration x(t)/(500-t)=2lbs/gallon, right?

Yes that is where I am caught up I tried several ways to get c and then plug it into x(t)/(500-t)=2lbs/gallonThe c I come up with is .000016

dipset24 said:
Yes that is where I am caught up I tried several ways to get c and then plug it into x(t)/(500-t)=2lbs/gallon

The c I come up with is .000016

That's gives you x(0)=0 doesn't it? What's wrong with that?

Dick said:
That's gives you x(0)=0 doesn't it? What's wrong with that?

Yes but when I plug that into my X(t)/v(t)

(-4(t-500)+.000016(t-500)^3)/((500-t)=2

which I can reduce to 4-.000016(t-500)^2=2

but the answer t=853.55 is not correct I just need some help verifying my answer

dipset24 said:
Yes but when I plug that into my X(t)/v(t)

(-4(t-500)+.000016(t-500)^3)/((500-t)=2

which I can reduce to 4-.000016(t-500)^2=2

but the answer t=853.55 is not correct I just need some help verifying my answer

It's a quadratic equation. It has two solutions, not just one. Can you find the other one?

Dick said:
It's a quadratic equation. It has two solutions, not just one. Can you find the other one?
Yea i am sorry t=146.44 t= 853.553
However doesn't t have to be less then 500 going all the way back to the integrating factor.

e^(-3*ln(500-t)) t<500?

dipset24 said:
Yea i am sorry t=146.44 t= 853.553
However doesn't t have to be less then 500 going all the way back to the integrating factor.

e^(-3*ln(500-t)) t<500?

Sure, t has to be less than 500. At t=500 the tank is drained. I think that's the sense to the question about what is the domain of x(t). The ODE has a solution outside of that range, but it doesn't make physical sense.

Last edited:
Dick said:
Sure, t has to be less than 500. At t=500 the tank is drained. I think that's the sense to the question about what is the domain of x(t). The ODE has a solution outside of that range, but it doesn't make physical sense.

Yes thank you so the Domain is [0,500] and when t=146.446609 min our concentration is 2lbs/gal

1. What is a mixture problem in ODE homework?

A mixture problem in ODE homework involves finding the solution to a differential equation that models the behavior of a mixture of substances over time.

2. How do I approach solving a mixture problem in ODE homework?

The first step in solving a mixture problem is to set up the differential equation that represents the rate of change of the mixture over time. Then, you can use techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, or integrating factors to solve the equation.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving mixture problems in ODE homework?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving mixture problems include not properly setting up the differential equation, making errors in the algebraic manipulations, and forgetting to include initial conditions in the solution.

4. Can you provide an example of solving a mixture problem in ODE homework?

Sure! Let's say we have a tank initially filled with 100 liters of water. A salt solution with a concentration of 2 grams per liter is pumped into the tank at a rate of 3 liters per minute. The solution is well-mixed and drained from the tank at a rate of 2 liters per minute. We can set up the differential equation as dM/dt = (3 liters/minute)(2 grams/liter) - (2 liters/minute)(M/100 liters), where M represents the amount of salt in the tank. Solving this equation, we can find the amount of salt in the tank after a certain amount of time.

5. How can I check if my solution to a mixture problem in ODE homework is correct?

You can check your solution by plugging it back into the original differential equation and seeing if it satisfies the equation. You can also check if your solution satisfies any given initial conditions. Another way to check is by graphing the solution and comparing it to the given data or using a calculator to approximate the solution.