Integrate Sqrt[ e^x + 1 ]

In summary: I had missed it when I was typing up my summary.In summary, the student is trying to solve a quadratic equation. They first try substitution, but when that doesn't work they try trig substitution. They are stumped at the last step, so they ask for help. The help they receive is to use integration by parts and a tables.
maxsthekat

Homework Statement

Integrate Sqrt[ ex+1]

2. The attempt at a solution
I first multiplied the equation by e^x / e^x, then tried substitution, with
u = e^x + 1
du = e^x dx

This gave me: Integral 1/(u-1) * (u)^1/2 du

However, I'm stumped at this part. Substitution here doesn't seem like it would work.

Any thoughts?

thanks!

-Max

Physics news on Phys.org
What if you let [itex] u=\sqrt{e^x+1} [/itex]??

angryfaceofdr said:
What if you let [itex] u=\sqrt{e^x+1} [/itex]??

Then... du = [tex](1/2)*(e^x+1)^{-1/2} * e^x dx[/tex]

I don't see how that helps.

I think your best shot might be a trig substitution. I haven't tried it, but that's what I would start with since the ordinary substitutions don't seem to lead anywhere and integration by parts also seems to be a dead end.

Trig substitutions are useful if you have a square root of the sum or difference of squares. In your case, ex = (ex/2)2.

Try tan u = ex/2 and see if that takes you anywhere.

If you let [tex]u=\sqrt{e^{x}+1}[/tex], then [tex]e^{x}\,dx=2u\,du[/tex] and [tex]\,dx=\frac{2u}{u^{2}-1}\,du[/tex]. This will leave you with [tex]\int\frac{2u^{2}}{u^{2}-1}\,du[/tex].

i worked it out, checked with the help of Maple, and will help you out here to get what i got.

let [tex]u= e^{x}[/tex]
then, [tex] x= ln\left|u\right|[/tex]
and [tex]dx= \frac{du}{u}[/tex]

this should leave you with [tex] \frac{\sqrt{u+1}}{u}du[/tex]

and now consult your integration tables

SmashtheVan said:
i worked it out, checked with the help of Maple, and will help you out here to get what i got.

let [tex]u= e^{x}[/tex]
then, [tex] x= ln\left|u\right|[/tex]
and [tex]dx= \frac{du}{u}[/tex]

this should leave you with [tex] \frac{\sqrt{u+1}}{u}du[/tex]

and now consult your integration tables

This substitution bothered me at first, because of the natural logarithm which gave rise to the absolute value sign. This could potentially limit what domain you're integrating over, but this doesn't matter since ex is always greater than zero, so you don't even need the absolute value around u. I think it's best to leave it out, because you ignored it anyways when you took the derivative.

Can this be done without having to resort to an integration table? I was told by the professor that we shouldn't need them for this problem.

Thanks, everyone, for all of your help :)

All solvable integrals can be done without consulting an integration table. What have you tried so far? You have been given a few good suggestions, what have you done with them so far? I would suggest you continue where post #5 left off. If you get stuck show us how far you got and we'll help you from there.

If you make this substitution, you can do it without integration tables.
[tex]
\begin{align*}
u &= \sqrt{e^x+1} \implies e^x = u^2-1 \\
du &= \frac{e^x}{2\sqrt{e^x+1}} \,dx \\
&= \frac{u^2-1}{2u} \,dx \\
\frac{2u}{u^2-1} \,du &= dx .
\end{align*}
[/tex]

Then
[tex]\int \sqrt{e^x+1} \,dx = \int \frac{2u^2}{u^2-1} \,du = \int \frac{2u^2}{(u-1)(u+1)}du[/tex]

Now expand this function by partial fractions and you will be able to integrate. I never like resorting to integration tables.

EDIT: I had missed post #5. It is the same substitution.

I'm pretty sure the OP could have belt it out using the substitution in the original post. Note that if we let u = e^x + 1, then
[tex]
\int \sqrt{e^x+1} \,dx = \int \frac{\sqrt{u}}{u-1} \,du = \int \frac{\sqrt{u}}{(\sqrt{u}-1)(\sqrt{u}+1)}du = \int \frac{du}{u-1} + \int \frac{du}{\sqrt{u}+1}
[/tex]
*EDIT* Even though this is rather ugly.

n!kofeyn said:
If you make this substitution, you can do it without integration tables.
[tex]
\begin{align*}
u &= \sqrt{e^x+1} \implies e^x = u^2-1 \\
du &= \frac{e^x}{2\sqrt{e^x+1}} \,dx \\
&= \frac{u^2-1}{2u} \,dx \\
\frac{2u}{u^2-1} \,du &= dx .
\end{align*}
[/tex]

Then
[tex]\int \sqrt{e^x+1} \,dx = \int \frac{2u^2}{u^2-1} \,du = \int \frac{2u^2}{(u-1)(u+1)}du[/tex]

Now expand this function by partial fractions and you will be able to integrate. I never like resorting to integration tables.

EDIT: I had missed post #5. It is the same substitution.
Before attempting to integrate that last expression, you should do long division, which gives you 2 + 2/(u^2 - 1). Then you can use partial fractions on the latter expression.

Mark44 said:
Before attempting to integrate that last expression, you should do long division, which gives you 2 + 2/(u^2 - 1). Then you can use partial fractions on the latter expression.

Thanks for catching that.

1. What is the purpose of integrating Sqrt[ e^x + 1 ]?

The purpose of integrating Sqrt[ e^x + 1 ] is to find the area under the curve represented by this function. In other words, it allows us to calculate the total change in the function over a given interval.

2. Is it possible to integrate Sqrt[ e^x + 1 ] analytically?

No, it is not possible to integrate Sqrt[ e^x + 1 ] analytically. This means that we cannot find an exact, closed-form solution for the integral. Instead, we must use numerical methods or approximations to find a solution.

3. What are the limits of integration for Sqrt[ e^x + 1 ]?

The limits of integration for Sqrt[ e^x + 1 ] depend on the specific problem or scenario at hand. In general, the lower limit will be the starting point of the interval and the upper limit will be the ending point. For example, if we want to find the area under the curve from x=0 to x=5, our limits of integration would be 0 and 5.

4. Why is it important to integrate Sqrt[ e^x + 1 ]?

Integrating Sqrt[ e^x + 1 ] is important because it allows us to solve a wide range of problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used to find important quantities like displacement, velocity, and acceleration.

5. What other methods can be used to solve Sqrt[ e^x + 1 ] other than integration?

Other methods that can be used to solve Sqrt[ e^x + 1 ] include differentiation, which is the reverse process of integration and can be used to find the derivative of the function. Additionally, numerical methods such as the trapezoidal rule and Simpson's rule can be used to approximate the value of the integral.