Reference frame for uniform circular motion

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a polar coordinate system in analyzing uniform circular motion. The radial and tangential directions are used to define the coordinate system, but it is noted that this terminology may become problematic when applied to more complex motions. The frame of reference is considered to be non-inertial, but still allows for the application of Newton's laws. The unit vectors in this coordinate system may change direction over time, but the position coordinates are still measured with respect to a non-rotating frame.
daudaudaudau
Hi.

Say a particle is moving around in uniform circular motion. The way my book attacks this problem is by placing the coordinate system such that one axis is in the radial direction and the other axis is in the tangential direction. Then we have the following for the radial acceleration
[tex]
a_r=\frac{v^2}{R}
[/tex]

But I am just wondering: Why is this an inertial reference frame? Is it not rotating along with the particle?

Physics news on Phys.org
Radial and tangential? I don't think its right since the "radial" and "tangential" changes directions continuously in circular motion.
The better way would be to choose the intersection of the two coordinate axes(that lies in the plane of rotation) to be at the center.

Last edited:
But I am just wondering: Why is this an inertial reference frame? Is it not rotating along with the particle?
It is not.

daudaudaudau said:
No, it's not. In the non-inertial frame that rotates with the particle, the speed and acceleration of the particle would be zero.

daudaudaudau said:
Hi.

Say a particle is moving around in uniform circular motion. The way my book attacks this problem is by placing the coordinate system such that one axis is in the radial direction and the other axis is in the tangential direction. Then we have the following for the radial acceleration
[tex]
a_r=\frac{v^2}{R}
[/tex]

sganesh88 said:
Radial and tangential? I don't think its right since the "radial" and "tangential" changes directions continuously in circular motion.
The better way would be to choose the intersection of the two coordinate axes(that lies in the plane of rotation) to be at the center.

It's a non-inertial reference frame.

Using radial and tangential is also some sloppy terminology, which sganesh noticed. Works fine for circular motion, but if you expand that to elliptical motion, your "tangential axis" isn't going to lie tangent to your ellipse. Technically, it's (radial and cross-radial) or (tangential and normal).

Even though sloppy, it's terminology that's also used a lot. Once you've started with "radial" and "tangential" in circular motion, it's hard to stop doing that once you talk about elliptical motion.

BobG said:
It's a non-inertial reference frame.
No, it's an inertial frame. (See my last post.)

And there's nothing wrong with using the radial and tangential directions (at some instant) to define a coordinate system for describing things.

But you're right--that trick only works well for simple circular motion. But that's all we're dealing with here.

daudaudaudau said:
Say a particle is moving around in uniform circular motion. The way my book attacks this problem is by placing the coordinate system such that one axis is in the radial direction and the other axis is in the tangential direction.
Essentially from the particles viewpoint looing inwards at the center of rotation.

Then we have the following for the radial acceleration
[tex]
a_r=\frac{v^2}{R}
[/tex]
This isn't true if v is velocity with respect to the coordinate system you just defined. With v=0 with respect to this coordinate system, which is a non-inertial reference frame, the particle experiences centrifugal force. If V is in the radial direction, then centrifugal force at any point in time is related to R0 / R, where R0 is the radial distance from "0" to the center of rotation. If V is in the tangental direction, then centrifugal force is related to (V-V0)2 / V02where V0 = ω0 R0, where ω0 is the rate of rotation of this coordinate system.

I have a quote from my physics textbook that may assist you.

"You might wonder if the rtz-coordinate system is an inertial reference frame. It is, and Newton's laws apply, although the reason is rather subtle. We're using the rtz-coordinates to establish directions for decomposing vectors, but we're not making measurements in the rtz-system. That is, velocities and accelerations are measured in the laboratory reference frame. The particle would always be at rest (v = 0) if we measured velocities in a reference frame attached to the particle. Thus the analysis [is really from the laboratory's inertial reference frame]." (Physics for Scientists and Engineers with Modern Physics, 2nd Edition, Randall D. Knight)

I hope this clears up the thought for you. Basically the rtz-system states directions that couldn't easily be stated with circular motion in an xy-coordinate system. The measurements are actually taken from the inertial reference frame of the observer.

-James

James98765 said:
Basically the rtz-system states directions that couldn't easily be stated with circular motion in an xy-coordinate system. The measurements are actually taken from the inertial reference frame of the observer.
Exactly. This is standard practice. (Thanks, James.)

As the other posters have already said, it is an inertial, non-rotating frame. I think part of your confusion may be due to the fact that the directions of the unit vectors in this coordinate system (i.e. the radial direction and the tangential direction) do 'rotate' as the particle moves.

The important conceptual point to grasp is that it is perfectly possible for these unit vectors to change direction in time, while the position coordinates are still measured with respect to a non-rotating frame.

In the case of simple polar coordinates like this, the position coordinates are [tex](r,\theta)[/tex]. Where [tex]r[/tex] is measured as a distance from the origin of the non-rotating coordinate system, and [tex]\theta[/tex] is the angle (the bearing if you like) made between a line joining the particle to the origin and some other fixed line in the non-rotating reference frame (many choices are possible, a common one is the 'x-axis'). However the unit vectors in the radial and tangential directions (sometimes written [tex]\vec{e_r}\;\text{and}\;\vec{e_{\theta}}[/tex]) are functions of [tex]\theta[/tex] and so vary with the particle's motion.

In fact one way to derive the apparent centrifugal and Coriolis forces felt by the rotating particle is to consider the derivatives of these unit vectors.

1. What is a reference frame for uniform circular motion?

A reference frame for uniform circular motion is a coordinate system used to describe the motion of an object moving in a circular path at a constant speed. It includes an origin point and axes that can be used to measure the position, velocity, and acceleration of the object.

2. How is the reference frame for uniform circular motion different from other reference frames?

The reference frame for uniform circular motion is different from other reference frames because it is specifically designed to describe the motion of an object moving in a circular path. It takes into account the changing direction of the object's velocity and acceleration, which is not accounted for in other reference frames such as Cartesian or polar coordinates.

3. What is the relationship between the reference frame and the radius of the circular path in uniform circular motion?

The reference frame is centered at the origin of the circular path and the radius of the path is the distance from the origin to the object. This means that the reference frame is directly related to the radius of the circular path and can be used to calculate the position of the object at any given time.

4. How does the reference frame for uniform circular motion affect the equations of motion?

The reference frame for uniform circular motion affects the equations of motion by introducing a centripetal acceleration term, which is necessary to account for the changing direction of the object's velocity. This affects the equations for velocity, acceleration, and force, and allows for more accurate calculations in circular motion scenarios.

5. Can the reference frame for uniform circular motion be used for non-uniform circular motion?

No, the reference frame for uniform circular motion is specifically designed for objects moving in a circular path at a constant speed. Non-uniform circular motion, where the speed or direction of the object is changing, requires a non-uniform reference frame to accurately describe its motion.