Velocity of surface water wave

In summary, the conversation is about finding the velocity for a surface wave on water, which is a longitudinal wave. The book suggests using the equation V = √((elastic property)/(inertial property)) for all mechanical waves, but the fact that water is not compressible complicates things. The conversation ends with a suggestion to refer to a website for more information and a reminder that the expression can be derived from equations of motion for an incompressible, inviscid fluid.
woepriest
Im trying to find the velocity for the surface wave on water. Its like when you throw a pebble on a small lake and there's waves.

My book tells me that all mechanical wave follows this

V = √((elastic property)/(inertial property))

But water is not compressable and this wave is a longatuidal wave I believe. I am just stuck as to where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
woepriest said:
Im trying to find the velocity for the surface wave on water. Its like when you throw a pebble on a small lake and there's waves.

My book tells me that all mechanical wave follows this

V = √((elastic property)/(inertial property))

But water is not compressable and this wave is a longatuidal wave I believe. I am just stuck as to where to start.
Try here: http://physics.nmt.edu/~raymond/classes/ph13xbook/node7.html

The expression shown there can fairly easily be derived from the equations of motion for an incompressible, inviscid fluid.

Last edited by a moderator:

Firstly, it is important to note that the velocity of a surface water wave can vary depending on various factors such as wind speed, water depth, and wave amplitude. However, there are some basic principles that can help us understand and calculate the velocity of a surface water wave.

As mentioned in your book, the velocity of a mechanical wave is determined by the ratio of two properties: the elastic property and the inertial property. In the case of a surface water wave, the elastic property refers to the water's surface tension, which is the force that holds the water molecules together at the surface. The inertial property, on the other hand, is the mass of the water that is being displaced by the wave.

Based on these properties, we can use the following equation to calculate the velocity of a surface water wave:

V = √(gλ/2π)

where V is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and λ is the wavelength of the wave.

This equation assumes that the water is deep enough for the wave to be considered a deep-water wave, meaning that the depth of the water is greater than half the wavelength of the wave. In this case, the velocity of the surface water wave is directly proportional to the square root of the wavelength.

However, if the water is shallow, meaning that the depth is less than half the wavelength, then the velocity is given by:

V = √(gd)

where d is the water depth.

In conclusion, the velocity of a surface water wave can be calculated using the equation V = √(gλ/2π) or V = √(gd), depending on the depth of the water. It is also important to consider other factors such as wind speed and wave amplitude when determining the velocity of a surface water wave.

What is the velocity of a surface water wave?

The velocity of a surface water wave is the speed at which the wave travels across the surface of the water. It is typically measured in meters per second (m/s).

How is the velocity of a surface water wave calculated?

The velocity of a surface water wave is calculated using the formula v = √(gλ/2π), where v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and λ is the wavelength of the wave.

What factors affect the velocity of a surface water wave?

The velocity of a surface water wave can be affected by several factors, including the depth of the water, the density of the water, and the wind speed. These factors can impact the wavelength and the amount of energy the wave carries, which in turn affects its velocity.

Can the velocity of a surface water wave change?

Yes, the velocity of a surface water wave can change depending on the conditions of the water. For example, if the wind speed increases, the velocity of the wave will also increase. Additionally, changes in water depth or density can also affect the velocity of the wave.

Why is it important to understand the velocity of a surface water wave?

Understanding the velocity of a surface water wave is important for various reasons. It can help predict the behavior of waves in different water conditions, which is crucial for activities such as surfing or boating. It also plays a role in understanding and predicting natural phenomena such as tsunamis and storm surges.