Force on current carrying conductor

In summary, the value of k is taken as 1 in the equation F=kILBsin<theta> because we are following SI units. This simplifies the equation and allows for the definition of the Tesla in SI units. If a different system of units is used, the value of k may be different.
uzair_ha91
I found this sentence in my textbook very confusing:

"...where k is constant of
proportionality. If we follow SI units, the value of k is 1."
Thus in
SI units, F=kILBsin<theta>=ILBsin<theta>

Why is the value of k taken as 1 only because we're following the SI units?

Physics news on Phys.org
Set k = 1 allows you to define the Tesla in SI units. If a wire is carrying a current of 1 Amp and is 1 metre long and is orientated so the direction of current flow is 90 degrees to a magnetic field of 1 Telsa then the force acting on the wire will be 1N. The sin theta bit is for when the current or moving charge is at any other angle than 90 degree to the magnetic field direction.

uzair_ha91 said:
Why is the value of k taken as 1 only because we're following the SI units?
Systems of units are set up to make the fundamental equations simpler. (SI Units are not the only system of units.)

You would agree, I trust, that if you measured the length in units of one-half meter (instead of the usual meter), you'd need to modify that force equation by choosing a different constant of proportionality? (k = 1/2)

1. What is the definition of "force on current carrying conductor"?

The force on a current carrying conductor is the force experienced by the conductor when it is placed in a magnetic field and a current is passing through it.

2. How is the direction of the force on a current carrying conductor determined?

The direction of the force is determined by the right-hand rule, where the thumb points in the direction of the current, the fingers point in the direction of the magnetic field, and the palm indicates the direction of the force.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of the force on a current carrying conductor?

The magnitude of the force depends on the strength of the magnetic field, the current flowing through the conductor, and the length of the conductor within the magnetic field.

4. How is the force on a current carrying conductor calculated?

The force can be calculated using the formula F = I x L x B, where I is the current, L is the length of the conductor in the magnetic field, and B is the strength of the magnetic field.

5. What are some practical applications of the force on current carrying conductors?

The force on current carrying conductors is utilized in various devices such as electric motors, generators, and speakers. It is also used in magnetic levitation trains and particle accelerators.