English composition and grammar help

In summary, Evo Child, a university student and English tutor, is offering to help with homework, review papers, and answer questions for students at PF. She has been tutoring since high school and has experience with English as a second language students. A dedicated HW help forum for English could benefit both native and non-native English speakers on PF.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
My daughter, Evo Child, is a university student and an English tutor, (her university pays her to tutor other students). She's been tutoring since High School (honors English).

She asked me if I thought anyone at PF would be interested in having help with their English. She will be glad to come here and help with homework, review papers, answer questions, etc...

We don't really have a set place for English help, so I told her I would let people know she's willing to help. So I am asking to see if there would be any interest and let people know she will be glad to help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Me english does not need any help. Me not interest. Thanks yous.

That's a wonderful offer, and something from which people here could benefit. (Yes, I just turned that sentence around to be grammatically correct, even though it's not the normal way people speak. Oh, the pressure! :rofl:)

I don't know if things have changed on this issue since I was a mentor, but we used to be fairly lenient about allowing these types of questions to be asked either in "Other sciences" homework help, or in the History and Humanities forum. If she's willing to stick around, maybe a HW Help forum for English could be created. I don't know of any university in the US that let's students escape without at least one course in English literature or expository writing, usually the latter, and usually in Freshman year.

Edit: I had another thought on the topic. Since the "official language of PF" is English, perhaps that even better justifies having a HW help forum for English. Students from non-English-speaking countries who wish to participate here might also appreciate having a forum where they can learn English, especially if they can get help with more technical terms than they might get in their courses.

I speakish not de Anglish so good. Fourword I be antipicating conecshion wid the beatifful yung gurl whose you refirs too. :tongue2:

Moonbear said:
That's a wonderful offer, and something from which people here could benefit. (Yes, I just turned that sentence around to be grammatically correct, even though it's not the normal way people speak. Oh, the pressure! :rofl:)

Actually, only uptight prescriptivists insist that sentences should not end with a preposition. For the rest of the English-speaking world, it's perfectly acceptable and correct usage.

I went to walmart today that was being renovated for months. I did not understand the reason behind the renovation, the old one was just fine. Needless to say, I was astonished to find a new department selling steaks, fish, apples and oranges. They even built a new bakery. It's great now, we like variety.

negitron said:
Actually, only uptight prescriptivists insist that sentences should not end with a preposition. For the rest of the English-speaking world, it's perfectly acceptable and correct usage.

Ending sentences with prepositions is a practice up with which we must not put!

Did someone post in the wrong thread?

EDIT: not you, Lisa!

A woman I work with started back to school to get her Masters degree. One of her classes had an online portion. She became so upset at the spelling and grammer in the posts that she had to schedule a special appointment with the dean just to rant.

Now she's teaching remedial English for grad students. :rofl:

Now she really knows how dumb some of these people are! :rofl:

She mentioned a John F Kennedy quote and one of the students asked if he was dead. When she gave a stunned reply of yes, the student complained that she didn't think it was right to quote dead people.

It's possible that I might need some help with my English. How good looking is the tutor?

Don't hit me Evo, you know I kid around. Yikes here comes my wife.

*Hands an ice pack to Jimmy*

I'm not sure who got you first, your wife or Evo, but somehow, I'm sure you're in need of that ice right now. :rofl:

Moonbear said:
I stopped using proper English when a guy I dated said I sounded like I was in a Shakespearean play. :frown:

I don't know if things have changed on this issue since I was a mentor, but we used to be fairly lenient about allowing these types of questions to be asked either in "Other sciences" homework help, or in the History and Humanities forum. If she's willing to stick around, maybe a HW Help forum for English could be created. I don't know of any university in the US that let's students escape without at least one course in English literature or expository writing, usually the latter, and usually in Freshman year.

Edit: I had another thought on the topic. Since the "official language of PF" is English, perhaps that even better justifies having a HW help forum for English. Students from non-English-speaking countries who wish to participate here might also appreciate having a forum where they can learn English, especially if they can get help with more technical terms than they might get in their courses.
I know from reading posts that many members could use help, but we've never had a single place they could go and know they'd get serious help.

Perhaps GD was not the place to ask this. :frown:

negitron said:

I know :smile:...I saw it too, but it's been taken care of. Oops...I mean the care of it has been taken :uhh:.

So Evo, does your daughter have any experience with English as second language students?

lisab said:
So Evo, does your daughter have any experience with English as second language students?
Yes she does, and that's something she would like to help with here.

negitron said:

It was a metaphor. Or a simile. I forget which. I guess I'll ask EvoChild... :biggrin:

waht said:
I went to walmart today that was being renovated for months. I did not understand the reason behind the renovation, the old one was just fine. Needless to say, I was astonished to find a new department selling steaks, fish, apples and oranges. They even built a new bakery. It's great now, we like variety.

Moonbear said:

I think that's a great point, Moonbear.

Evo said:
Yes she does, and that's something she would like to help with here.

I would frequently help ESL students when I was in college...I often found their knowledge of grammar rules was more extensive than mine :redface:. It's quite different from teaching native speakers.

Kudos to her for volunteering!

Evo said:
I stopped using proper English when a guy I dated said I sounded like I was in a Shakespearean play. :frown:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: oh my goodness... "who doth pay unto this bill for yon expensive restaurant"

I think my sister would be interested, I’ll tell her about that. thanks for sharing

Moonbear said:

and I’m thinking that the mentor of this English forum will be fitted well to the one and only PFer, that will be ….:biggrin:

berkeman said:
It was a metaphor. Or a simile. I forget which. I guess I'll ask EvoChild... :biggrin:
Hrm. I might have been an metaphor or possibly an allegory but definitely not a simile. A simile is the comparison of two objects unlike things often using the words "like" or "as".

Pretty as a picture -- simile

What waht wrote. Dunno. It's as poorly punctuated shopping experience account, as best I can tell. :smile:

As to the OP question, I think an English help section would be nifty keen.

Last edited:
GeorginaS said:
Hrm. I might have been an metaphor or possibly an allegory but definitely not a simile. A simile is the comparison of two objects unlike things often using the words "like" or "as".

Pretty as a picture -- simile

What waht wrote. Dunno. It's as poorly punctuated shopping experience account, as best I can tell. :smile:

As to the OP question, I think an English help section would be nifty keen.

(I was kidding... The post was an artistic metaphor! Walmart metaphors are common in the literature, I hope you know.)

Walmart started out small, and now they sell just about anything, it's an excellent metaphor.

What started out as an innocent little physics/maths forums now encompasses many disciplines in science. Now we are about to squeeze in an English help subsection.

Anybody finds it odd having to go to physicsforums for English help?

but still it's a great idea

berkeman said:
(I was kidding... The post was an artistic metaphor! Walmart metaphors are common in the literature, I hope you know.)

I guessed that waht was on about something. I was examining the micro rather than the macro, though. Now, common in what/whose literature, and why do you hope I know that bit of supposed information?

Evo chlid, here?:!)
Yes, we definitely need help!:smile:

On the net I don't comment on peoples' spelling and grammatical errors unless it would be funny or have some other point. None the less, I see merit in this proposed forum. Too bad my wife won't be able to take advantage though. English is her third language.

waht said:
Anybody finds it odd having to go to physicsforums for English help?

but still it's a great idea

Is it any odder than having to go to physics forum for dating advice? :rofl:

GeorginaS said:
I guessed that waht was on about something. I was examining the micro rather than the macro, though. Now, common in what/whose literature, and why do you hope I know that bit of supposed information?

Walmart is in at least one movie. Haven't you ever seen the movie about the Walmart baby? (Where the Heart Is)

Lisa! said:
Evo chlid, here?

No, Evo child there. *points in Evo's direction*

BobG said:
Is it any odder than having to go to physics forum for dating advice? :rofl:

not if we're going to be dating beautiful tutors

She used to tutor math whizes in high school. They would tell her math was so beautiful, so logical, but they just couldn't get comp.

BobG said:
Walmart is in at least one movie. Haven't you ever seen the movie about the Walmart baby? (Where the Heart Is)

Um, sorry, I'm not trying to be obtuse, but how does that support the contention that WalMart metaphors are common in literature? Or is there chain-yanking going on here? I can't quite pin this down. I'm a naive sort. :smile:

I used to tutor other kids in my classes when I was in high school and have volunteered as an adult literacy tutor for a number of years. It's more than surprising how many people make it out of school but have poor language skills. And given how important they are particularly in personal presentation when the only representation someone has of you are your words on paper (or pixels on a screen) I value it as a skill worth honing and information worth sharing. So why wouldn't someone appeal to an academically-inclined website for well-rounded assistance? You can't craft a solid research grant without those skills.

I've found similar situations, Evo, where people are math or science whizzes who can't seem to grasp the nuances or rules for written communication. Conversely, math is an all-out battle for me -- I can get it, but it takes quite a bit of doing -- whereas English soaks up naturally.

Last edited:
GeorginaS said:
Um, sorry, I'm not trying to be obtuse, but how does that support the contention that WalMart metaphors are common in literature? Or is there chain-yanking going on here? I can't quite pin this down. I'm a naive sort. :smile:

When Shakespeare said...

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet."

... he was referring to buying generic drugs from Walmart at a much lower price than the name brands.

(His premise is false, by the way. People's perception of things is greatly influenced by the words used to describe it - something English speakers sometimes miss since our nouns have no gender. Likewise, the placebo effect will often result in Tylonel bringing faster pain relief than the generic acetaminophen medication.)

I think it's a great suggestion for a new forum, not only to assist non-native speakers, but also to enable people to polish up grammatical errors from things like graduate application essays, etc etc.

It's a very generous offer from the Evo child to help in such a way. (I imagine there are some other members who could also help out.)

I don't think it would be good as a subforum in the homework forum, though, since that is under the name "Science Education", and such a forum will likely get hidden in there. Maybe as a subsection of GD? Hey, we could always replace P&WA :wink:

BobG said:
When Shakespeare said...

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet."

... he was referring to buying generic drugs from Walmart at a much lower price than the name brands.

(His premise is false, by the way. People's perception of things is greatly influenced by the words used to describe it - something English speakers sometimes miss since our nouns have no gender. Likewise, the placebo effect will often result in Tylonel bringing faster pain relief than the generic acetaminophen medication.)

Wow, again, sorry, I'm entirely lost. waht wrote this:

I don't see the first thing about generic drug purchasing in there.

berkeman wrote

I don't see generic drugs there either.

Let me try this avenue, then. Are you, Bob, suggesting to me that the "Walmart metaphors in literature" comment means that the word "Walmart" can be liberally substituted for stories containing a similar or parallel characters or places or objects who have a like definition for "Walmart's" business practises? (Okay, I can barely unravel that sentence. Good luck to you! :biggrin:)

I'll go with that, to a point. What that has to do with one lone movie, I don't know. I'm also not sure what that has to do with renovations and a bakery. But, I'll leave this alone and live with my lack of Walmart literary references. :smile:

Stop it, stop it! My abs hurt. Owieee!

OMG, I'm ROTFLMAO. I need some popcorn...