First order Ordinary Differential Equation

In summary, the student is trying to solve a differential equation but is having trouble. He has tried substitution where y(t) = z(t)/t, but that does not seem to work. He is also trying to differentiate y but does not know how to apply the product rule. He asks for help and is given a summary of what to do next.
PAR

Homework Statement

Solve the differential equation:

[tex]y' = 8sin(4yt) ; y(1) = 4[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The integrating doesn't apply because I can't get the equation into:
y' + p*y = f(x) form

Also, I have tried separating variables, but I can't get the y inside of the sin(4yt) outside of the sin(). Basically, I need some help to get started.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try changing variables: y(t)=z(t)/t.

Correction! The differential equation should be y' = 8sin(4yt) instead of y'=8y[tex]^{3}[/tex]sin(4yt)

I've tried substitution where y(t) = z(t)/t

This gave me:

[tex]y' = z'/t - z/t^{2} = 8sin(4z)[/tex]

The problem now is that I still have a function of z on the right hand side of the equation, and I don't know how to combine it with the left hand side to give me an a nice integrating factor or separation of variables. I was thinking I could divide the whole thing by sin(4z) anyway, and then integrate with respect to t. The z' would be integrable and so would the 8, but the resulting -z/(t[tex]^{2}[/tex]sin(4z)) I don't know how to integrate with respect to t. Great help so far, but could still use more :).

[tex]\frac{dy}{dt} = 8\sin (4yt)[/tex]

[tex] y=\frac{z}{t} \Rightarrow 8 \sin (4yt) = 8 \sin (4z) = \frac{dy}{dt} [/tex]

[tex] y=\frac{z}{t} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{dy}{dt}=-\frac{dz}{t^2 dt} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{dz}{dt} = -8t^2\sin (4z) [/tex]

[tex] \int \frac{dz}{\sin (4z)} = \int -8t^2 dt [/tex]

Maybe that will work?

Gregg said:
[tex]\frac{dy}{dt} = 8\sin (4yt)[/tex]

[tex] y=\frac{z}{t} \Rightarrow 8 \sin (4yt) = 8 \sin (4z) = \frac{dy}{dt} [/tex]

[tex] y=\frac{z}{t} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{dy}{dt}=-\frac{dz}{t^2 dt} [/tex]

Don't you have to apply the product rule when you differentiate y?

Since y = z/t = zt[tex]^{-1}[/tex] and z is a function of t by definition shouldn't

y' = z'/t - z/t[tex]^{-2}[/tex] instead of y' = [tex]-\frac{dz}{t^2 dt} [/tex]

PAR said:
Don't you have to apply the product rule when you differentiate y?

Since y = z/t = zt[tex]^{-1}[/tex] and z is a function of t by definition shouldn't

y' = z'/t - z/t[tex]^{-2}[/tex] instead of y' = [tex]-\frac{dz}{t^2 dt} [/tex]

Oh yeah god, use the product rule :$.

Thank you Gregg and Avodyne for the help, but I don't have a solution to this problem. Is there a different way to solve first order ODE other than separation of variables and the integration factor? Please, I need some help.

1. What is a first order ordinary differential equation?

A first order ordinary differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves an unknown function and its first derivative. It describes the relationship between the function and its rate of change at a given point. In simple terms, it is an equation that shows how a function changes over time.

2. How do you solve a first order ordinary differential equation?

To solve a first order ordinary differential equation, you need to find the function that satisfies the equation. This can be done by using various techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, or integrating factors. The solution will involve a constant of integration, which can be determined by using initial conditions.

3. What are the applications of first order ordinary differential equations?

First order ordinary differential equations have numerous applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. They are used to model various real-world phenomena such as population growth, heat transfer, and chemical reactions. They are also essential in solving problems involving rates of change and optimization.

4. What is the difference between an ordinary differential equation and a partial differential equation?

The main difference between an ordinary differential equation and a partial differential equation is the number of independent variables. An ordinary differential equation involves only one independent variable, while a partial differential equation involves more than one. This means that the solution to a partial differential equation will be a function of multiple variables.

5. Can first order ordinary differential equations be solved numerically?

Yes, first order ordinary differential equations can be solved numerically using methods such as Euler's method, Runge-Kutta method, or the finite difference method. These methods involve approximating the solution at discrete points and using iterative calculations to find a numerical solution. Numerical solutions are often used when an analytical solution cannot be found or is too complex.