Factors affecting acceleration in a pulley system

In summary, the conversation involves a physics lab where the group was investigating the effect of changing a single factor on the acceleration of an object. They used a simple static pulley system and recorded the time it took for the side with changing masses to rise to a certain distance. However, they are now questioning if they accidentally changed two factors instead of one. They are also unsure of how to use their data to answer the question of how changing mass affects acceleration. The conversation also includes equations and attempts at finding a solution, but the group is struggling and seeking help.
Fireworks

Homework Statement

My group in physics conducted a lab which is described below:

The lab was to investigate a factor affecting the accel. of an object. We were supposed to change only one factor to see how acceleration would be affected. My group had decided to use a simple static pulley system with one side kept a constant mass and the other was used to change the masses and see how changing the mass on that one side affected acceleration
with F=ma (which can be rearranged in the pulley situation to g(m2-m1)/(m1+m2)

I am just now realizing that we might have also changed the force by changing the mass on one side of the pulley system and therefore changed two factors instead of one. Is this true?

The data that we have is the time it took the side with changing masses to rise to a certain distance. Is there anything we can do to show how acceleration is affected by the change of masses?

If we totally messed up the lab, does anyone have any recommendations on how we can use our data in the best way to answer the question: How does changing mass affect acceleration?

Homework Equations

F = ma ; g(m2-m1)/(m1+m2)

Δy = vₒt + ½ at² ? (not sure about that one and if it can relate)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'll be honest, I don't know where to go with this information. I have been playing around with my data for a few hours now trying to figure out how to figure out if my group even did this lab the least bit correct. As of right now I am just using g(m2-m1)/(m1+m2) , and comparing that value (which i think is theoretical) to the experimental value of acceleration from the kinematic.

Any and all help is appreciated. My group really messed up on this one and it is due tomorrow. I know, labs shouldn't be done this way, but I really am asking for help right now.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would say force is a responding variable rather than a manipulated one, so no problem.

Go ahead and calculate the acceleration resulting from your change of a mass.
Use Δy = vₒt + ½ at²
The Vo will be zero, so if you know how far the mass went up and the time it took, you can calculate "a" easily. Then check to see if g(m2-m1)/(m1+m2) predicted it correctly.

Do you do any error estimation in your labs? The thing is measurements are never exact so you really should make some effort to see if your measured acceleration matches the predicted value "to with measurement error". You could estimate how accurately you measured the time and distance and do the calculations again with the highest and lowest values that fall within the range of your estimated measurement error. Then see if the range in the calculated acceleration overlaps the predicted acceleration value.

I would like to first address the main question of the lab: How does changing mass affect acceleration in a pulley system? Based on the equation provided, it seems that changing the mass on one side of the pulley system will affect the acceleration of the system. However, it is important to note that there are other factors that can also affect acceleration in a pulley system.

One factor to consider is the friction in the pulley system. Friction can cause a decrease in acceleration as it acts in the opposite direction of motion. Therefore, it is important to ensure that the pulley system is as frictionless as possible in order to accurately measure the effect of changing mass on acceleration.

Another factor to consider is the angle of the rope or string in the pulley system. As the angle increases, the effective mass being lifted also increases, which can affect the acceleration. It would be beneficial to keep the angle constant in the experiment to isolate the effect of changing mass.

Additionally, it is important to keep in mind that changing the mass on one side of the pulley system can also affect the tension in the rope or string. This change in tension can also affect the acceleration of the system. Therefore, it is important to keep the tension constant throughout the experiment.

In terms of your data and results, it would be helpful to plot a graph of acceleration vs. mass to see if there is a linear relationship. If there is, then it would support the equation provided. If not, it may indicate that other factors are also affecting the acceleration. It would also be helpful to calculate the uncertainties in your measurements and see if they are within an acceptable range.

In conclusion, while changing mass can affect acceleration in a pulley system, it is important to consider and control for other factors such as friction, angle, and tension in order to accurately determine the relationship between mass and acceleration. I would recommend discussing these factors in your lab report and discussing any potential sources of error in your experiment.

1. What is a pulley system?

A pulley system is a simple machine that uses a wheel with a groove and a rope or cable to lift or move heavy objects. It works by changing the direction of the force applied to move an object.

2. How does the number of pulleys affect acceleration in a pulley system?

The number of pulleys in a system affects the acceleration by decreasing the amount of force needed to lift an object. The more pulleys added, the less force is required to lift the object, resulting in a higher acceleration.

3. What role does the mass of the object play in acceleration in a pulley system?

The mass of an object affects acceleration in a pulley system by increasing the amount of force needed to lift it. The heavier the object, the more force is needed, resulting in a slower acceleration.

4. How does the angle of the pulley affect acceleration in a pulley system?

The angle of the pulley affects the direction of the force applied to lift the object. A steeper angle will require more force to lift the object, resulting in a slower acceleration. A shallower angle will require less force, resulting in a higher acceleration.

5. Does friction play a role in acceleration in a pulley system?

Yes, friction can affect the acceleration in a pulley system. Friction between the pulley and the rope or cable can decrease the efficiency of the system, resulting in a slower acceleration. To minimize the effects of friction, lubricants can be used on the pulley and rope.