Why does the temperature goes up following rainfall (then gradually cools down)?

In summary, the temperature goes up immediately after rainfall and then gradually cools down. This is because the ground releases heat in the form of moisture, which raises the temperature temporarily. It is also affected by humidity and thermal equilibrium. During heavy rainfall, the temperature decreases due to colder water coming from above. However, when the rain stops, the temperature may go up again. The presence of moisture and relative humidity can also affect the temperature by causing evaporation and making the air colder. Overall, rain does not directly help the ground release heat, but can contribute to changes in temperature through various factors.
srk999
From my observation I saw that the temperature goes up immediately after rainfall. Then it gradually cools down. I don't really know why it happens, but I think it happens because the ground releases heat (upward) in the form of moisture as water touches the ground. It is the heat trapped in the moisture that raises the temperature for some time, after which it cools down.
Do you agree with me? Why do you think this happens? Why doesn't the ground release as much heat when it is not raining?

Science news on Phys.org
i'd assume it has a lot to do with humidity as you said, also keep in mind that when it is not raining your body is in thermal equilibrium with your surroundings, so as the temperature changes, you begin to feel the shift in equilibrium as heat or cold.

During heavy rainfall the temperature always goes down, because the water comes from above where it's colder. If the rain stops it will likely go up again. Of course rain often comes with cold or warm fronts that will change the temperature. If the ground is wet
and relative humidity is smaller than 100% water will evaporate and this will make it colder.

I don't think the rain will help the ground release heat in any way. If the ground is still warmer than the air after the rain, it can help the air to warm up again to some extent.

1. Why does the temperature increase after rainfall?

The temperature increases after rainfall because the sun's energy is absorbed by the water on the ground, causing it to evaporate and release heat into the surrounding air. This warm, moist air then rises and mixes with the cooler air above, creating an overall increase in temperature.

2. How long does it take for the temperature to cool down after rainfall?

The length of time it takes for the temperature to cool down after rainfall depends on various factors such as the amount of rainfall, humidity levels, and wind speed. Generally, it can take anywhere from a few hours to a day for the temperature to return to its pre-rainfall levels.

3. Why does the temperature gradually cool down after rainfall?

The gradual cooling down after rainfall is due to the evaporation process. As the water evaporates, it absorbs the surrounding heat, causing the air temperature to decrease gradually. Additionally, the moisture in the air also helps to cool down the temperature as it rises and mixes with the cooler air above.

4. Does the temperature always go up after rainfall?

No, the temperature does not always go up after rainfall. In some cases, the temperature may remain the same or even decrease if the rainfall is accompanied by strong winds or a cold front. The overall effect on temperature also depends on the location and time of year.

5. Can rainfall affect the temperature in different ways?

Yes, rainfall can affect the temperature in different ways depending on the type, intensity, and duration of the rainfall. For example, light rain may not have a significant impact on temperature, while heavy downpours can cause a sudden drop in temperature. Additionally, the temperature may also be affected by the geographical location and surrounding weather patterns.