Induced EMF on a primary coil by a secondary coil

In summary: PERE'S LAW: The magnetic field at a point is directly proportional to the current flowing through a closed loop that wraps around it.In summary, to find the induced EMF on an inner solenoid by a changing current on an outer solenoid, we can use Faraday's law and Ampere's law to determine the relationship between the rate of change of current in the outer coil and the magnetic field, and then use that to derive an equation.
KaiserBrandon
1. Derive an equation to find the induced EMF on an inner solenoid by a changing current on an outer solenoid.

Homework Equations

We're given the equation EoRMS=(No*Ai*(2*pi*f)*(permeability constant)*IiRMS)/Li for the induced EMF on the outer solenoid by a changing current in the inner. I need an equation to replace this for when it's the other way around.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea where to even begin, I just need a hint as to how I should start.

Physics news on Phys.org
KaiserBrandon said:
1. Derive an equation to find the induced EMF on an inner solenoid by a changing current on an outer solenoid.

Homework Equations

We're given the equation EoRMS=(No*Ai*(2*pi*f)*(permeability constant)*IiRMS)/Li for the induced EMF on the outer solenoid by a changing current in the inner. I need an equation to replace this for when it's the other way around.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea where to even begin, I just need a hint as to how I should start.
Start with Faraday's law for a coil:

[tex]V_{induced} = -N\frac{d\phi}{dt} = -NA\frac{dB}{dt} [/tex]

where N is the number of coils in the inner coil, B is the magnetic field and A is the area enclosed by the coils.

Can you apply Ampere's law to determine the relationship between the rate of change of current in the outer coil and dB/dt?

AM

I would first suggest reviewing the fundamental principles of electromagnetic induction. This will help in understanding the relationship between induced EMF and changing current in a solenoid.

One approach to deriving an equation for the induced EMF on the inner solenoid by a changing current on the outer solenoid is to use Faraday's law of induction. This law states that the induced EMF in a closed loop is equal to the negative rate of change of the magnetic flux through the loop.

In this case, the inner solenoid can be considered as a closed loop, and the changing current in the outer solenoid will create a changing magnetic flux through it. The equation for the magnetic flux through a solenoid is given by Φ = μNIA, where μ is the permeability constant, N is the number of turns, I is the current, and A is the cross-sectional area of the solenoid.

Using Faraday's law and the equation for magnetic flux, we can derive the equation for the induced EMF on the inner solenoid as follows:

E = -dΦ/dt
E = -d/dt (μNIA)
E = -μNAdI/dt

This equation represents the induced EMF on the inner solenoid by a changing current on the outer solenoid. It is similar to the equation given for the outer solenoid, but with the addition of the cross-sectional area of the inner solenoid.

I hope this helps in understanding the relationship between induced EMF and changing current in a solenoid. It is important to note that this is just one approach to deriving the equation and there may be other methods as well.

1. What is induced EMF?

Induced EMF, or electromotive force, is the voltage that is created in a conducting loop when there is a change in the magnetic field passing through the loop.

2. How is induced EMF created on a primary coil by a secondary coil?

When there is a change in the magnetic field passing through a secondary coil, it creates a change in flux, which induces an EMF in the coil. This change in flux is caused by either a change in current in the primary coil or a change in the distance between the two coils.

3. What is the relationship between the number of turns in the coils and the induced EMF?

The induced EMF is directly proportional to the number of turns in the coils. This means that if the number of turns is doubled, the induced EMF will also double.

4. Can induced EMF be created in a stationary coil?

No, induced EMF can only be created in a coil when there is a change in the magnetic field passing through it. A stationary coil will not experience a change in flux, and therefore will not have an induced EMF.

5. How can induced EMF be increased?

There are a few ways to increase the induced EMF in a coil. One way is to increase the strength of the magnetic field passing through the coil. Another way is to increase the speed at which the magnetic field is changing, either by increasing the current or moving the coils closer together. Additionally, increasing the number of turns in the coil will also increase the induced EMF.