What would happen if ? (imaginary earth)

• Thread starter jonjacson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Earth
In summary: The angular speed of the Earth would be increased around ten times?.If the Earth's angular speed were increased by a factor of 10, the centrifugal force at the equator would be increased by a factor of 100, and the gravitational force at the equator would be increased by a factor of 1000. The resulting changes in the Earth's shape and gravity would be significant.
jonjacson
...the angular speed of the Earth would be increased around ten times?.

I mean if w, that now is 7,27 * 10-5 rad/s would be 6,05 *10-4 rad/s.

¿what would happen to a quiet body at the equator?¿and at the pole?.

Make some easy calculations and you will see it, let's comment the physics in that imaginary planet.

Physics news on Phys.org
Centrifugal force at the equator is only around 0.03 m/s^2 (0.3% of g) so increasing this to 0.3 m/s^2 wouldn't have much effect (compared to g=9.8)
It would make the Earth bulge a little more and would have some complex effects on tides

The weather patterns ought to undergo significant changes as well, not only the tides.

In particular, the changes in Coriolis-type effects would be way more significant than the changes radial acceleration-effects.

This is because radial acceleration effects will be swamped by the big gravitational force anyway, whereas in the other directions, there are, in general, no particularly strong forces whose effects would swamp the coriolis effect.

mgb_phys said:
Centrifugal force at the equator is only around 0.03 m/s^2 (0.3% of g) so increasing this to 0.3 m/s^2 wouldn't have much effect (compared to g=9.8)
It would make the Earth bulge a little more and would have some complex effects on tides
Yes you are right, I made a mistake, but I think you too, because centrifugal force is not linear with w, Fc=mw2R , so if you increase ten times w, Fc is increased 100 times.

I made the calculations another time and the result to make equal the centrigual force and the gravity at the equator is: 1,24 *10-3 rad/s , which make more sense.I simply use this equality:

GMm/R2 = mw2R , and w= square root( 4 *pi *density/3)

¿do you agree?

arildno said:
The weather patterns ought to undergo significant changes as well, not only the tides.

In particular, the changes in Coriolis-type effects would be way more significant than the changes radial acceleration-effects.

This is because radial acceleration effects will be swamped by the big gravitational force anyway, whereas in the other directions, there are, in general, no particularly strong forces whose effects would swamp the coriolis effect.
Assuming that w does not change with time we would have(azimuthal force equals to 0) :

-translation force remains the same, it is not function of w

-centrifugal is the most different force, because depends on the square of w

-coriolis is linear with w
If you would live at the equator ¿could you walk like the astronauts into their naves?

It would be curious the difference between living at the poles or living at the equator ¿what do you think? ---------------And talking about the tides, I can't see why they would change, tides are a comparattive effect due to gravity , it's not the force that matters , it's the difference in force.

The shape of the Earth would change due to the centrifugal force , but ¿can you explain why tides would change?.I am so sorry for the mistake, I only wanted to make equal centrigual and gravitational force at the equator, and see the implications on the ficticious forces.

Thanks for replying

Last edited:
jonjacson said:
[...] centrifugal force is not linear with w, Fc=mw2R , so if you increase ten times w, Fc is increased 100 times.

I made the calculations another time and the result to make equal the centrigual force and the gravity at the equator is: 1,24 *10-3 rad/s , which make more sense.
I simply use this equality:
GMm/R2 = mw2R , and w= square root( 4 *pi *density/3)
¿do you agree?

As mgb-phys pointed out: an earthlike planet that spins faster than the Earth would have a more pronounced equatorial bulge.

Your quick 'n dirty calculation may not be very far off, but factoring in the equatorial bulge would take it to the next level.

There are approximative expressions for the amount of bulge as a function of rotation rate, and expressions for the gravitational potential of a bulging planet.

I don't know whether a celestial body with such as rotation rate that effective gravity at the equator is zero or nearly zero will be stable. As I recall there have been theoretical explorations. Of course such a high rotation rate will never actually occur. I think a proto-planetary disk that spins relatively fast will simply never contract to a planet.

Cleonis

What would happen if the Earth was twice its current size?

If the Earth was twice its current size, its gravitational pull would be much stronger, causing objects and living beings to weigh twice as much. This would also result in a thicker atmosphere, making it difficult for humans to breathe. The increased mass would also affect the Earth's rotation, resulting in longer days and potentially different weather patterns.

What would happen if the Earth stopped rotating?

If the Earth suddenly stopped rotating, the effects would be catastrophic. The lack of rotation would disrupt the Earth's magnetic field, leading to increased radiation from the sun. The lack of centrifugal force would also cause the oceans to shift towards the poles, resulting in massive flooding in some areas and drought in others. The change in rotation would also drastically alter the climate and weather patterns on Earth.

What would happen if the Earth's axis was tilted more?

If the Earth's axis was tilted more, the seasons would become more extreme. Areas near the poles would experience longer and colder winters, while areas near the equator would have shorter and hotter summers. This would also affect the distribution of sunlight, potentially leading to changes in plant and animal life. Additionally, the increased tilt could also impact ocean currents, resulting in changes to global weather patterns.

What would happen if the Earth's magnetic field disappeared?

If the Earth's magnetic field disappeared, the planet would be exposed to the full force of the sun's radiation. This would have a major impact on the Earth's atmosphere, potentially causing it to dissipate over time. The lack of magnetic field would also make the planet more vulnerable to solar winds and cosmic rays, which could have harmful effects on living organisms and technology. Additionally, without a magnetic field, the Earth's protective shield against space debris would also disappear, increasing the risk of collisions with objects from outer space.

What would happen if the Earth's orbit changed?

If the Earth's orbit changed, the planet's distance from the sun would be affected, leading to changes in temperature and weather patterns. A closer orbit would result in warmer temperatures and potentially more extreme weather events, while a farther orbit would lead to cooler temperatures. Changes in the Earth's orbit could also impact the length of a year and the duration of the seasons. Additionally, changes in the Earth's orbit could affect the gravitational pull of other planets, potentially leading to gravitational disruptions in the solar system.