Whats the effect of universal/absolute gravity?

• Thread starter Shahin.Omar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary: Can anything have an effect on itself? Yes, an object can exert a gravitational force on itself. This is due to the mass of the object.
Shahin.Omar
Hello!

Can someone explain the effect of gravity of an object on the same object?
We pretty much know the effect of gravity of one body on another body, but is there a way to understand the effect on the same body?

Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
I received an email saying I have received a reply to my post from molydood, but I cannot see it here.

Here is the message that has just been posted:
its the same theory, but you have to break it down into smaller bits, really tiny bits if you want an accurate answer.

Shahin.Omar said:
Hello!

Can someone explain the effect of gravity of an object on the same object?
We pretty much know the effect of gravity of one body on another body, but is there a way to understand the effect on the same body?

Cheers!
All matter affects other matter via gravity. This is true right down to the atomic level where two atoms have a gravitational effect on each other.

On the grand scale, every atom within an object has a gravitational effect on every other atom. This is why the Earth is spherical.

DaveC426913 said:
All matter affects other matter via gravity. This is true right down to the atomic level where two atoms have a gravitational effect on each other.

On the grand scale, every atom within an object has a gravitational effect on every other atom. This is why the Earth is spherical.

I think yes that is good explanation for Earth being spherical, this is one effect. Can you please tell me more such effects that absolute gravity has.

I know relative causes acceleration, revolution of one body around another, phase locking of planets, gravitational mass, bending of light rays and many more.

Can you name more effects of absolute gravity?

Shahin.Omar said:
I think yes that is good explanation for Earth being spherical, this is one effect. Can you please tell me more such effects that absolute gravity has.

I know relative causes acceleration, revolution of one body around another, phase locking of planets, gravitational mass, bending of light rays and many more.

Can you name more effects of absolute gravity?

There is no such thing as "absolute gravity". It is gravity operating between masses. Period.

The list of effects due to gravity is virtually boundless.

Last edited:
DaveC426913 said:
There is on such thing as "absolute gravity". It is gravity operating between masses. Period.

The list of effects due to gravity is virtually boundless.

And why do you say that?

Last edited:
Shahin.Omar said:
And why do you said that?
What?

I said it because it's true and it answers your question as best as possible. What are you having difficulty with?

[ Oops. Corrected a typo. Maybe that was what was confusing you. ]

DaveC426913 said:
What?
I said it because it's true and it answers your question as best as possible. What are you having difficulty with?
[ Oops. Corrected a typo. Maybe that was what was confusing you. ]

That sounds more like a belief than a reason, how can you be so sure without citing any scientific and observational evidence?

A body in space creates curvature around itlself that causes another body to rotate around it (GTR). If that curvature has some effect on another body why it should have no effect on the same body.
e.g. how to understand the effect of universal gravity on the universe itself.
or say the effect of Earth's gravity on Earth itself and so on.

Last edited:
Shahin.Omar said:
That sounds more like a belief than a reason, how can you be so sure without citing any scientific and observational evidence?

A body in space creates curvature around itlself that causes another body to rotate around it (GTR). If that curvature has some effect on another body why it should have no effect on the same body.
e.g. how to understand the effect of universal gravity on the universe itself.
or say the effect of Earth's gravity on Earth itself and so on.
What makes you think a body exerts a gravitational force on itself? Do you have a reference for this, or is this just a personal theory or belief? So far as I know, current theories of gravity include no such effect, so the burden is upon you to provide a scientific reference.

The different parts of the Earth (or other composite body) certainly exert gravitational forces on each other, but an element of mass does not exert a gravitational force on itself.

Doc Al said:
What makes you think a body exerts a gravitational force on itself? Do you have a reference for this, or is this just a personal theory or belief? So far as I know, current theories of gravity include no such effect, so the burden is upon you to provide a scientific reference.

The different parts of the Earth (or other composite body) certainly exert gravitational forces on each other, but an element of mass does not exert a gravitational force on itself.

OK, in that case let me start with an assumption. Can I?

Shahin.Omar said:
OK, in that case let me start with an assumption. Can I?
Sure - then you have to build a theory around it and test it. But you haven't - you're just making this up as you go along!

So to echo: There is no such thing as "universal/absolute gravity". That's just a term that you made up.

russ_watters said:
Sure - then you have to build a theory around it and test it. But you haven't - you're just making this up as you go along!

So to echo: There is no such thing as "universal/absolute gravity". That's just a term that you made up.

Easy folks, it looks kind of defensive here. In schools we are always allowed to start with an assumption like "lets assume the price of a lether jacket is X", and it doesn't draw such flaks.

I don't understand why do you say 'period' or 'to echo...' when you have no evidence for it. Do you think your approach is right?

"lets assume the price of a lether jacket is X"

That would be right in the maths department, not the physics department.

Shahin.Omar said:
Easy folks, it looks kind of defensive here.
We're not getting defensive, we're taking umbrage with your loosey-goosey thinking.
You cannot invent terms and then expect other people to accept them.

Shahin.Omar said:
In schools we are always allowed to start with an assumption like "lets assume the price of a lether jacket is X", and it doesn't draw such flaks.
Stating an assumption is not the same as making up something out of whole cloth.

You can't start with "lets assume the price of a lether jacket is red" and get away with it.

Shahin.Omar said:
I don't understand why do you say 'period' or 'to echo...' when you have no evidence for it. Do you think your approach is right?
This is our current understanding of physics.

The onus is on you to show otherwise.

DaveC426913 said:
We're not getting defensive, we're taking umbrage with your loosey-goosey thinking.

"your loosey-goosey thinking" using such statements is what is called defensiveness.

DaveC426913 said:
You cannot invent terms and then expect other people to accept them.

I don't ask you to accept, I only ask you to make an assumption.

DaveC426913 said:
Stating an assumption is not the same as making up something out of whole cloth.

With due respect, defensiveness again.

DaveC426913 said:
You can't start with "lets assume the price of a lether jacket is red" and get away with it.

Correct! I cannot make an assumption like that because red is known to be a colour, it has a value that is measured in terms of mixture of RGB and not in terms of monetary currency.

DaveC426913 said:
This is our current understanding of physics. The onus is on you to show otherwise.

That is exactly the question. Whats the effect of universal/absolute gravity?

I don't think the content itself would have taken more time than this kind of defensive deadlock, honestly!

What do you mean by universal/absolute gravity? These are terms you made up?

You're the one being defensive, when you asked for sources for what can be found in textbooks published 30 years ago? Surely those are good enough sources? Study Gravitation by Weinburg, everything people say here is based on the theory which is extremely comprehensively covered in that book.Can I ask you one question: if you are postulating that a body exerts a gravitational force on itself, in what direction do you think the force vector points?

Shahin.Omar said:
That is exactly the question. Whats the effect of universal/absolute gravity?
Once again: "universal/absolute gravity" is just some word salad that you've made up! You haven't provided a reference or even a coherent expression of what that might mean, except for some vague notion of bodies attracting themselves. You just keep asking the same question, as if it had some recognized meaning.

This thread is done.

What is universal/absolute gravity?

Universal/absolute gravity is a fundamental force of nature that describes the attraction between all objects with mass. It is responsible for the gravitational pull that keeps planets in orbit around the sun and objects on Earth from floating away.

How does universal/absolute gravity work?

According to Isaac Newton's law of universal gravitation, the force of gravity between two objects is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that the larger the masses of the objects and the closer they are, the stronger the force of gravity between them.

What is the difference between universal/absolute gravity and relative gravity?

Universal/absolute gravity is a force that exists between all objects with mass, regardless of their size or distance from each other. It is a universal law that applies to all objects in the universe. Relative gravity, on the other hand, refers to the gravitational force between two specific objects, such as the Earth and the moon.

What are the effects of universal/absolute gravity on Earth?

The most noticeable effect of universal/absolute gravity on Earth is the gravitational pull that keeps us grounded and objects from floating away. It is also responsible for the tides in the oceans and the motion of the Earth's plates. Additionally, universal/absolute gravity plays a crucial role in the formation and stability of the solar system and the universe as a whole.

Can the strength of universal/absolute gravity change?

No, the strength of universal/absolute gravity is constant and does not change. This is because it is a fundamental force of nature and is determined by the masses and distances of objects, which remain constant. However, the perceived strength of gravity can vary depending on the location and mass of the objects involved.