Magnetic field between two long, straight wires

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the magnetic field due to two wires and adding them together to get the total magnetic field at a specific point. The person initially makes a mistake in their calculation but is able to correct it with the help of the expert.
exitwound

Homework Statement

Capture3.JPG

Homework Equations

[tex]B = \frac{\mu_o i}{2\pi d}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

To do this, you'd find the magnetic field magnitude due to the left wire, and add it to the magnetic field due to the right wire. Correct?

If so:

Wire 1:
[tex]B = \frac{1.26x10^-6 (8)}{2\pi(.02)} = -4x10^-6 \hat k[/tex]

Wire 2:
[tex]B = \frac{1.26x10^-6 (12)}{2\pi(.02)} = 1.2x10^-5 \hat k[/tex]

But this isn't right. The answer is B.

What's gone wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
What's gone wrong?

You just forget to add 2 B together.
[tex]
B1 = \frac{\mu_o i1}{2\pi d} = \frac{20 \mu_0}{\pi}
[/tex]

[tex]
B2 = \frac{\mu_o i2}{2\pi d} = \frac{30 \mu_0}{\pi}
[/tex]

Total B at midpoint is:

B = B1 + B2

Because direction of B1 is in opposite that of B2 and B2 > B1, so you should choose direction of B2 as positive direction.

==> B = B2 - B1

Hmm. I thought that's what I was doing. I must have put something into the calculator incorrectly because I got something else for B1. But when I just did it, following what you did, it works out.

Thanks.

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is an invisible force that is created by moving electric charges. It is represented by lines of force that show the direction and strength of the field.

2. How is a magnetic field created between two long, straight wires?

A magnetic field is created between two long, straight wires when electric current flows through them in the same direction. The magnetic field lines form circles around each wire, with the direction of the field determined by the right hand rule.

3. How does the distance between the wires affect the strength of the magnetic field?

The strength of the magnetic field between two long, straight wires is inversely proportional to the distance between the wires. This means that as the distance increases, the strength of the magnetic field decreases.

4. Can the direction of the magnetic field be changed?

Yes, the direction of the magnetic field can be changed by reversing the direction of the electric current flowing through the wires. This will cause the direction of the magnetic field lines to also reverse.

5. How is the strength of the magnetic field measured?

The strength of the magnetic field between two long, straight wires can be measured using a device called a magnetometer. This device uses a magnetized needle to show the direction and strength of the magnetic field.