Newton's 3rd law, tension, friction

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the maximum acceleration that two boxes can have without sliding when a larger tension force is applied. The maximum accelerations are 5.88, and since the acceleration in part e is less than this, the boxes do not slide off. This is shown by considering the available static friction.
teammatt3

Homework Statement

hw.gif

Homework Equations

F=m*a
Fs <= N*us
Fk = N * uk

The Attempt at a Solution

b) T-fs = 120
T-.2 * 9.8 * (15 + 20 + 25) = 120 => T = 237.6 Newtons

c) (Fs)2 on 1 = (Fs)1 on 2 = 15 * 9.8* .6 = 88.2 Newtons

d) (15 + 20) * 9.8 * .6 = 205.8 Newtons

e) This is where I'm falling apart. Since we are applying a larger tension force than the static friction of both top boxes, then the boxes must slide off. Right?

f) My professor said they slide off at the same time, but I'm not sure how to show it, or why. I thought the top one would fly off first, since the static friction force is smallest.

Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
teammatt3 said:
e) This is where I'm falling apart. Since we are applying a larger tension force than the static friction of both top boxes, then the boxes must slide off. Right?
Ask yourself: In order to accelerate m1 (or m1 & m2) what force is required? Is static friction sufficient to provide that force?
f) My professor said they slide off at the same time, but I'm not sure how to show it, or why. I thought the top one would fly off first, since the static friction force is smallest.
Figure out the maximum acceleration that each box can have without sliding. (Consider the available static friction.)

Thank you! That helped.

The accelerations where the boxes start to slide are:

m1: 88.2 = 15 * a => a = 5.88
m2: 205.8 = (15+20) * a => a = 5.88

So they both slide at the same time. And in part e, since the acceleration is less than 5.88, they don't slide off.

Good!

1. What is Newton's 3rd law?

Newton's 3rd law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when one object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal and opposite force on the first object.

2. How does Newton's 3rd law apply to tension?

In the case of tension, when an object exerts a force on a rope or string, the rope or string will also exert an equal and opposite force on the object. This is because the rope or string is stretched by the force applied to it, creating an equal and opposite reaction force.

3. What is tension?

Tension is the force that is transmitted through a rope, string, or other similar object when it is pulled tight by forces acting on either end. It is a pulling force that is directed along the length of the object.

4. How does friction relate to Newton's 3rd law?

Friction is a force that opposes the motion of two objects that are in contact with each other. According to Newton's 3rd law, the force of friction is equal and opposite to the force that is causing the objects to move or slide against each other.

5. What factors affect the amount of friction between two objects?

The amount of friction between two objects is affected by the types of surfaces in contact, the force pressing the surfaces together, and the roughness of the surfaces. The greater the force or the roughness of the surfaces, the greater the friction will be.