What Is the Coefficient of Kinetic Friction on a 40 Degree Incline?

• Thread starter traffic_boy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, the problem involves a block of unknown mass being pushed up a 40 degree inclined plane and then released. The block continues to move up the plane with an acceleration of -9m/s squared. The goal is to find the coefficient of kinetic friction. The relevant equations used are f(friction) + mg cos 50 - F = -9 (m) and f( kinetic friction)= (kinetic friction constant) .normal force (n). The user has not been able to find the correct answer and is seeking assistance. They have mentioned the 40 degree inclined plane, which is used to find the x component of weight, resulting in a 50 degree angle.
traffic_boy

Homework Statement

a block of unknown mass is given a push up a 40 degrees inclined plane and then released.
it continues to move up the plane (+) at an acceleration of -9m/s squared.what is the coefficient of kinetic friction ?

Homework Equations

f(friction) + mg cos 50 - F = -9 (m)
n = mg sin 50
f( kinetic friction)= (kinetic friction constant) .normal force (n)

The Attempt at a Solution

i have used the above mentioned equations but i couldn't find the right answer..
sooo,, am looking forward for any help guys...

Physics news on Phys.org
You have mentioned 40 degrees inclined plane. With respect to what? Because in the relevant equation you have used 50 degrees.
So, show your calculations. Identify all the forces acting on the block on the inclined plane.

rl.bhat said:
You have mentioned 40 degrees inclined plane. With respect to what? Because in the relevant equation you have used 50 degrees.
So, show your calculations. Identify all the forces acting on the block on the inclined plane.

thank u for replying,,well,i've mentioned the 40 degrees inclined plane, but the only benefit
of this 40 degrees is to help us to find the x component of weight, so if we complete the triangle made by the incline and the perpendicular line of the weight force , we'll get 50 degrees angle ...

1. What is friction?

Friction is a force that opposes the motion of an object when it comes into contact with another object or surface.

2. How do I solve a friction problem?

To solve a friction problem, you need to identify the type of friction involved (static or kinetic) and the coefficient of friction for the materials in contact. Then, you can use the formulas for frictional force and/or frictional torque to calculate the solution.

3. What are some common examples of friction?

Some common examples of friction include walking on the ground, rubbing your hands together, and sliding a book across a table.

4. Why is friction important?

Friction is important because it allows us to walk, grip objects, and move things. It also helps to slow down or stop objects in motion, preventing accidents and injuries.

5. How can I reduce friction?

You can reduce friction by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between surfaces in contact. You can also use smoother materials or add wheels and bearings to reduce friction in certain situations.