A puck slides a total of 12m: Problem relating kinteic friction to Newton's law

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the initial speed of a puck in a shuffleboard game given that it slides 12m before coming to rest and the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.28. The solution involves using Newton's 2nd law to find the acceleration and then using the equation vf^2=v^2+2ad to find the initial speed.
Kat11111

Homework Statement

In a shuffleboard game, the puck slides a total of 12 m before coming to rest. If the coefficient of kinetic friction between the puck and board is 0.28, what was the initial speed of the puck?

Homework Equations

f=ma
fk=U*N
vf^2=v^2+2ad
a=delta v/t

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to find the acceleration using the equation above but since I don't know the initial speed, I get 2 unknown. I tried to substitute a by delat v/t but I don't have time either. I don't have the mass of the puck either so I can't find the normal force. How can I start?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use Newton's 2nd law to find the acceleration. (You don't need the actual mass--just call it m.)

From Newton's law: you can find accleration of puck.
P + Ff + N = ma

After find a, you will use this eq:
[tex]v^2 - v_0^2= 2as[/tex]

Because puck is at rest after going distance = 12m, v = 0. Plug a, then you get answer.

Thanks to both of you, I got it! I didn't see the masses canceled in the first equation.

1. What is Newton's law of motion?

Newton's law of motion states that an object will remain at rest or continue to move at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

2. How does kinetic friction relate to Newton's law?

Kinetic friction is a type of external force that can act upon an object in motion, causing it to slow down. According to Newton's law, the magnitude of the frictional force is directly proportional to the normal force and coefficient of friction between the two surfaces in contact.

3. How do you calculate the kinetic friction force?

The kinetic friction force can be calculated by multiplying the coefficient of friction by the normal force acting on the object. This can be represented by the equation Fk = μk * Fn, where Fk is the kinetic friction force, μk is the coefficient of friction, and Fn is the normal force.

4. What factors affect the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction depends on the nature of the surfaces in contact and the force pushing them together. It can also be affected by the roughness of the surfaces, the presence of any lubricants, and the temperature.

5. How does the distance traveled by an object relate to the coefficient of friction?

The distance traveled by an object is directly affected by the coefficient of friction. A higher coefficient of friction will result in a shorter distance traveled, as the object will experience a stronger opposing force from the surface it is sliding on.