If a sequence converges to L, so the the sequence of averages

• Thread starter dianetics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sequence
A) and a sequence (B) that is the average of sequence (A), if (A) converges to a number, then (B) will also converge to that number (always).In summary, the given problem states that if a sequence (xn) converges to M, then the sequence (ym) = (x1 + ... + xm) / m also converges to M. This can be proven by manipulating the terms of (ym) and using the definition of convergence for sequences. Ultimately, we can conclude that the average of a convergent sequence will also converge to the same value.
dianetics

Homework Statement

( xn ) is given.

ym = ( x1 + . . . + xm ) / m

show that if xn converges to M, then ym converges to M

Homework Equations

Definition of convergence for sequences

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried a whole page full of algebraic manipulation. I found a recursive definition of ym, found xn in terms of ym and ym-1, and I've tried showing that abs(xn - L) < e, implies abs(bm - L) < e, all to no avail. I'd really appreciate some guidance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, so this is just a stupid idea from a physicist, but...

Suppose [tex] x_n [/tex] converges to M. Then [tex] z_n \equiv x_n - M [/tex] converges to 0, right? It would seem to me that the calculation would be a bit simpler if you worked with z instead of x.

I think you can get some decent estimates from just algebraic manipulation, but iirc the trick here is to work with both indexes. We know that |x_n - L| < e for n > N and we need m to be sufficiently large (m > M for some M) so that |y_m - L| holds (I'm using L for the limit since I reserve M to be the measure of how large m needs to be to have convergence). Now we only care about the terms of x_n for sufficiently large n, so try working with |x_n - L| < e for n > N. Can you find an estimate involving the terms x_N, x_(N+1), ... x_(N+M)? (If this approach works as it should, you should be able to choose M at a later point)

snipez90 said:
Can you find an estimate involving the terms x_N, x_(N+1), ... x_(N+M)?
No, lol...

calmtrox gives a good idea, but carrying on from snipez's comments, you know for any e>0, that you can pick N so that |x_n -L|< e, for all n>N

then you know say for m > n >N that
[tex] (x_n+ x_{n+1}+ ...+x_m)/(m-n) \leq e [/tex]

assume the terms are bounded below N. Then the basic idea is that you can take as many terms with n>N to smooth out any devations from the terms (as at the end of the day, everything gets divided by a big number M, that you choose)

EDIT: changed commas to plus signs

Last edited:
lanedance said:
then you know say for m > n >N that
[tex] (x_n, x_{n+1}, ...,x_m)/(m-n) \leq e [/tex]
How does this imply the convergence of y_n?

Last edited:
snipez90 said:
I think you can get some decent estimates from just algebraic manipulation, but iirc the trick here is to work with both indexes. We know that |x_n - L| < e for n > N and we need m to be sufficiently large (m > M for some M) so that |y_m - L| holds (I'm using L for the limit since I reserve M to be the measure of how large m needs to be to have convergence). Now we only care about the terms of x_n for sufficiently large n, so try working with |x_n - L| < e for n > N. Can you find an estimate involving the terms x_N, x_(N+1), ... x_(N+M)? (If this approach works as it should, you should be able to choose M at a later point)
I'm not following. Why do we only care about the terms of xn for sufficiently large n? yn is dependent on all x1...xn-1 as well.

Edit: I have this so far:

the convergence of x_n means that:
| (x_n + x_n+1 + ... + xm) / (m - n + 1) - L | < e

Now I'm trying to incorporate ym somehow into this inequality.

Last edited:
Okay, here's what I got in 15 minutes. I'm a physicist so forgive me if I'm stupid :)

Using my previous definition for z_n, you have [tex] |y_n - M| = (z_1 + z_2 + ... + z_n)/n [/tex].

Now, y_n converges if for all epsilon you can find a big enough N that for all n>N, the expression above is smaller than epsilon.

But you also know that z_n converges to zero, so you can also find a large O so that for any positive real number delta, |z_n| < delta for all n>O.

The trick with the rest of the exercise is to notice that you can always choose your delta to be smaller than epsilon. It should be very straightforward then to evaluate that

[tex] (z_1 + z_2 +...+ z_N + ... z_m)/m < (z_1 + z_2 + ... +z_N + \epsilon + \epsilon +...)/m [/tex] etc, the rest is trivial. The key part is choosing delta to be smaller than epsilon (which you can always do).

Here's how I did it. (There are several ways, but I think this way is the most direct.)

x_n-->L & y_n=(x_1+...+x_n)/n ==> y_n-->L

PROOF:
x_n-->L, so L-e<x_n<L+e for all n>N.

So, x_n/(L-e)>1 and x_n/(L+e)<1.

Now, let y_n

=[x_1+...+x_(N-1)]/n + [x_N+...+x_n]/n.

The first term converges to 0. We focus on the second.

Note that,

(x_N+...+x_n)/n = (x_N+...+x_n)/(n-N+1) - N(x_N+...+x_n)/[n(n-N+1)] + (x_N+...+x_n)/[n(n-N+1)].

Also, by hypothesis,

x_N/(L+e)+...+x_n/(L+e) < n-N+1, since each term is less than 1.
So,
(x_N+...+x_n)/(n-N+1) < (L+e).
And,
x_N/(L-e)+...+x_n/(L-e) > n-N+1
so,
(x_N+...+x_n)/(n-N+1) > (L-e).
Thus,
(x_N+...+x_n)/(n-N+1) --> L.
Thus,
(x_N+...+x_n)/n = (x_N+...+x_n)/(n-N+1) - N(x_N+...+x_n)/[n(n-N+1)] + (x_N+...+x_n)/[n(n-N+1)] --> L - 0(L) + 0(L) = L.

Thus, y_n--> L.

Last edited:
dianetics said:

Homework Statement

( xn ) is given.

ym = ( x1 + . . . + xm ) / m

show that if xn converges to M, then ym converges to M
Sorry I don't like any of the answers here so here I go:

ym = the average of a convergent sequence.
Here's the slim jim of it all without wasting pages upon pages to prove it.
x1...xm approaches M when divided by m ... this becomes M! (infinite sequence approaching any number divided by infinity = that number)

ym therefore = M ... easy

hasn't this been shut for years?

Yeah, I was just asked to prove this using nothing but the definition of convergence. As I struggled with it, I came across this thread and decided to post what I got.

1. What is the definition of a convergent sequence?

A convergent sequence is a sequence of numbers that approaches a specific value, known as the limit. As the sequence continues, the terms get closer and closer to the limit, and eventually, the difference between the terms and the limit becomes smaller than any given value.

2. How do you determine the limit of a convergent sequence?

To determine the limit of a convergent sequence, you can use the limit definition of convergence, which states that for any given value, there exists a corresponding index in the sequence where all subsequent terms are within a certain distance from the limit. In other words, the terms of the sequence must approach the limit as the index increases.

3. What is the significance of a convergent sequence of averages?

A convergent sequence of averages is significant because it tells us that the terms of the original sequence are approaching a specific value, which is the average of all the terms in the sequence. This can be useful in analyzing data or making predictions based on the trend of the sequence.

4. Can a sequence converge to a different value than the limit of its averages?

Yes, it is possible for a sequence to converge to a different value than the limit of its averages. This can occur when the terms of the sequence do not have a consistent trend and the average is heavily influenced by a few outlier values. In this case, the limit of the averages may not accurately represent the overall trend of the sequence.

5. How is the convergence of a sequence of averages related to the original sequence?

The convergence of a sequence of averages is related to the original sequence in that the limit of the averages must also be the limit of the original sequence. This means that as the terms of the original sequence get closer to the limit, the terms of the averages will also get closer to the same limit.