Solving for x (quadratic)

• Thread starter Jules18
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quadratic
In summary, there is no inverse function for y = 2x^2 + x. The quadratic formula can be used to solve for x in terms of y, but it will result in two possible values due to the ± symbol. For polynomials of a higher order, such as x^3 + 2x^2 + x, there is no general formula to solve for x using only algebraic functions.
Jules18
How do you explicitly solve for x in terms of y using this quadratic formula?

y = 2x2 + x

I need to solve for x in order to find the inverse fxn. I know how to factor, but after that I'm stuck.
Any suggestions?

~Jules~

* And what about polynomials of a higher order, like x3 + 2x2 + x, or something similar?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jules18 said:

y = 2x2 + x
There is no inverse function for y = 2x^2 + x. For some values of y there are more than one value of x (eg. y = 0 or y = 1). So you cannot express x in terms of y.

AM

Jules18 said:

y = 2x2 + x

I need to solve for x in order to find the inverse fxn. I know how to factor, but after that I'm stuck.
Any suggestions?

~Jules~

* And what about polynomials of a higher order, like x3 + 2x2 + x, or something similar?
Are you not aware of the quadratic formula? If [itex]ax^2+ bx+ c= 0[/itex] then [itex]x= (-b\pm\sqrt{b^2- 4ac})/(2a)[/itex].

In particular, if [itex]y= 2x^2+ x[/itex] then [itex]2x^2+ x- y= 0[/itex] so
[tex]\frac{-1\pm\sqrt{1+8y}}{4}[/tex]

It is that [itex]\pm[/itex] that prevents this from being a "true" inverse, as Andrew Mason said. We could divide y into two functions, restricting the domain:

If [itex]f_1(x)= 2x^2+ x[/itex] for [itex]-\infty< x\le -1/4[/itex] then
[tex]f_1^{-1}(x)= \frac{-1-\sqrt{1+8x}{4}[/tex]

If [tex]f_2(x)= 2x^2+ x[/itex] for [itex]-1/4\le x< \infty[/itex] then
[tex]f_2^{-1}(x)= \frac{-1+ \sqrt{1+8x}{4}[/tex]

There is a general formula for cubics and quartics but they are extremely complicated. It can be shown that cannot be a general formula solve polynomial equations of degree higher than four using only algebraic functions.

What is a quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation is an equation in the form of ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are coefficients and x is the variable. It is called a quadratic equation because its highest power is 2.

What is the purpose of solving for x in a quadratic equation?

Solving for x in a quadratic equation allows you to find the values of x that make the equation true. These values are known as the roots or solutions of the equation and can be used to graph the equation and solve real-life problems.

What methods can be used to solve for x in a quadratic equation?

The most common methods used to solve for x in a quadratic equation are factoring, using the quadratic formula, and completing the square. Factoring involves finding the factors of the quadratic equation to determine its roots. The quadratic formula is a formula that gives the exact solutions of a quadratic equation. Completing the square is a method that involves manipulating the equation to create a perfect square trinomial, which can then be easily solved.

What is the discriminant in a quadratic equation and how is it used to determine the nature of the roots?

The discriminant is the part of the quadratic formula that is under the square root sign, b^2 - 4ac. It is used to determine the nature of the roots of a quadratic equation. If the discriminant is positive, the equation will have two real and distinct roots. If it is zero, the equation will have one real root. If it is negative, the equation will have two complex roots.

What are some real-life applications of solving for x in a quadratic equation?

Solving for x in a quadratic equation has many real-life applications, such as calculating the trajectory of a projectile, determining the dimensions of a rectangular garden, and finding the optimal production level for a business to maximize profits. It is also used in fields like physics, engineering, and economics.