Is an Ebook Reader Effective for College Studying?

• Thread starter thepopasmurf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    College
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of ebook readers for college studying and the various features that are important for this purpose. These features include the availability and affordability of textbooks, annotation capabilities, display of pictures, and the ability to add personal files. It is mentioned that while some ebook readers such as the Kindle 2 have limitations, they have improved with updates such as PDF support and screen rotation. It is also noted that for textbooks, a larger screen may be more suitable and that a lightweight laptop could also be a good option.
thepopasmurf
hi, I'm thinking of getting an eBook reader this Christmas for college. However, before I do I would like to know how effective it would be for studying. Does anyone have any experience using ebook readers in college?

I'm studying physics and maths (and material science but maybe not next year). I try to read my textbooks but I mainly use them for reference.

There are somethings I'd like to know about ebook readers:
1) Are there many textbooks available for them and are they cheap or free (I'm in the UK by the way), and are there ebook versions of the main textbooks?

2) Can the ebook readers annotate the ebooks?

3) Can ebook readers display pictures?

4) Can I add my own files?

I'm aware that there are different ebook readers but I'd like to find one that can do all the above. Any other comments / thoughts are also wanted

Physics news on Phys.org
I own a Kindle 2. I wouldn't consider it as good as a text (not as yet at least). The texts that are available for purchase can be downloaded and converted to Kindle format (which now supports PDF), but there isn't so much variety as one would have with texts. It would be a better option to borrow the books needed from a library.

1/ You can get many free textbooks online and convert them to PDF format. Check the Math and Science Learning Materials forum. Many texts are good. By main textbooks, if you refer to the standard texts used at college, you will have to check amazon.com to see their list.

2/ For Kindle 2, annotation is not yet a feature for PDF files. For txt files, such a feature is available, but who has plaintext textbooks?

3/ Yes

4/ Yes

You can read books from the site named <a href="http://www.ebookserenity.com/">http://www.ebookserenity.com//</a>.. You can try out this site for downloading!

Last edited by a moderator:
anirudh, do any of the ebook readers display color pictures? For example, my Kindle will display pictures, but they are black and white and poor quality (think black and white newspaper photos). I love the Kindle for reading books, but would not recommend it for textbooks or studying. I don't know if any other ebook readers really have addressed those issues yet either.

As far as I know, for textbooks, you're still better off reading the ebooks on a computer screen than an ebook reader. Part of that is also due to some layout issues and scaling for screen size. For textbooks, I really think we need a larger screen, like an 8 x 10 screen (don't really need the margins so much). I think that would still be a great improvement over the standard textbook for students to just carry around a single ebook reader with all their books loaded onto it. But, then again, might as well go for a lightweight laptop and have everything you'd need in one place.

I still would keep paper books, myself, because I'm old-fashioned and just use textbooks in a different way than what an ebook reader allows, but I can understand the strong appeal for a student to spare their back and not lug around giant textbooks all day.

Moonbear said:
anirudh, do any of the ebook readers display color pictures? For example, my Kindle will display pictures, but they are black and white and poor quality (think black and white newspaper photos). I love the Kindle for reading books, but would not recommend it for textbooks or studying. I don't know if any other ebook readers really have addressed those issues yet either.

As far as I know, for textbooks, you're still better off reading the ebooks on a computer screen than an ebook reader. Part of that is also due to some layout issues and scaling for screen size. For textbooks, I really think we need a larger screen, like an 8 x 10 screen (don't really need the margins so much). I think that would still be a great improvement over the standard textbook for students to just carry around a single ebook reader with all their books loaded onto it. But, then again, might as well go for a lightweight laptop and have everything you'd need in one place.

I still would keep paper books, myself, because I'm old-fashioned and just use textbooks in a different way than what an ebook reader allows, but I can understand the strong appeal for a student to spare their back and not lug around giant textbooks all day.

Hey moonbear,
I think there was a super-expensive color e-book reader that came out a while ago. I think it was this one
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/03/worlds-first-co/
I think they are having problems using the e-ink technology to display color. The Kindle 2 has 16 shades of gray which makes it one of the best as of now. I have science papers and books on my Kindle, and I must say I am satisfied. This is, ofcourse, after the firmware update that has come out on Nov. 24th. This makes it convenient to read books by introducing native PDF support and also by introducing the option to rotate your screen. This option has made it possible to "zoom in" on PDF files, making it easy on the eyes. (Boy, I make a good sales pitch if I say so myself :tongue:)

A laptop might be a good option, but it is harsh on one's eyes. As you mentioned, there is also the additional bonus of portability.

What is an Ebook Reader for College?

An Ebook Reader for College is a digital device that allows students to access and read electronic books, also known as ebooks. It is specifically designed for use in a college or university setting, where students may have a large number of textbooks and other reading materials to carry around.

What are the benefits of using an Ebook Reader for College?

Using an Ebook Reader for College has several benefits. Firstly, it eliminates the need for students to carry heavy and bulky textbooks, which can be inconvenient and lead to back problems. Additionally, ebooks are usually cheaper than physical textbooks, saving students money. Ebook Readers also allow for easy note-taking, highlighting, and bookmarking, making studying more efficient and organized.

What features should I look for when choosing an Ebook Reader for College?

When choosing an Ebook Reader for College, there are a few key features to consider. Look for a device with a large and high-resolution screen, as this will make reading and studying more comfortable. It should also have a long battery life to avoid frequent charging. Other important features include the ability to add and organize notes, a wide variety of ebook formats supported, and a user-friendly interface.

Can I access all of my required textbooks on an Ebook Reader for College?

In most cases, yes. Many publishers now offer electronic versions of textbooks, and many colleges and universities are transitioning to digital textbooks. However, it is always best to check with your professors or the bookstore to confirm if your required textbooks are available in ebook format before purchasing an Ebook Reader.

Are there any downsides to using an Ebook Reader for College?

While there are many benefits to using an Ebook Reader for College, there are also a few potential downsides. Some students may find it difficult to adjust to reading on a digital screen, which can cause eye strain. Additionally, some courses may require physical textbooks or materials that are not available in ebook format. It is important to carefully consider your own preferences and course requirements before deciding if an Ebook Reader is suitable for you.