Why won't my Vista computer shut down properly?

• Thread starter leroyjenkens
  • Start date
In summary, the problem is that Windows XP can't shut down gracefully, so it just starts to boot up again and the cycle repeats.
leroyjenkens
I shut down and it sits on the screen saying "shutting down" forever.
This started happening, I think, after I installed Grand Theft Auto San Andreas. I dealt with it until I beat the game, then uninstalled the game, but this problem is still happening.
I had two network drivers in device manager that had an exclamation point next to them and it said that they're not working properly. I uninstalled both of those and the problem is still happening.
When I shut down, there's no applications running in task manager. There's nothing on my task bar.
I looked at ntbtlog.txt and it has a huge list of different things. About a thousand or more. A few hundred say "Did not load driver".
I have no idea what to do. I don't want to go into windows and start deleting all the files that ntbtlog said were not loaded.
This wouldn't be quite so annoying if I didn't have to hold the power button on my computer for 58 million millennia before it finally turns the computer off.

Computer science news on Phys.org
You could try using a registry script to automatically shut down. That may work. You can find the reg code online somewhere.

did not load driver
It's unlikely to be one of those. NT and later systems first load the interface specific low level drivers (like SATA, USB, ...), then it makes calls to those drivers to report any connected devices. Then for each device found, it goes through a loop loading device specific mid-level drivers for that device type (hard drive, game controller, ...), stopping if that device type driver reports it it supports that specific device, or continuing until it finds a device specific driver that does, or giving up if it never finds a driver.

I have an old Intel 2ghz P4 system that XP can't shut down, even after a fresh install, but Windows 2000 or older can shut it down. I never figured out what the problem was. MS support also gave up.

1. Why is my Vista computer not shutting down?

There could be several reasons why your Vista computer is not shutting down. It could be due to a software conflict, corrupt system files, or a problem with drivers. It is recommended to troubleshoot the issue by performing a clean boot and checking for any updates or hardware issues.

2. How do I fix the issue of my Vista computer not shutting down?

To fix the issue of your Vista computer not shutting down, you can try restarting your computer and then trying to shut it down again. If that does not work, you can try running a system file check, updating your drivers, or performing a system restore to a previous point when the computer was shutting down properly.

3. Can a virus or malware cause my Vista computer to not shut down?

Yes, a virus or malware can cause your Vista computer to not shut down properly. Malicious software can interfere with system processes and cause your computer to hang or freeze during the shutdown process. It is important to regularly scan your computer for viruses and malware and remove any threats that are found.

4. Is there a way to force shut down my Vista computer if it is not responding?

Yes, you can force shut down your Vista computer if it is not responding by pressing and holding the power button for a few seconds until the computer shuts off. However, this is not recommended as it can cause data loss and potential damage to your system. It is better to try troubleshooting the issue to find the root cause of the problem.

5. Could a recent update be causing my Vista computer to not shut down?

Yes, a recent update could potentially be causing your Vista computer to not shut down properly. Sometimes, updates can introduce bugs or conflicts with other software on your computer. If you suspect an update is causing the issue, you can try uninstalling the update or performing a system restore to before the update was installed.