Equilibrium of a Uniform Beam with Non-Vertical Forces

In summary, the conversation is about solving a physics problem involving a uniform beam supported at its center of gravity with three forces acting on it. The goal is to calculate the unknown force F while considering the mistake made by the teacher that may result in a negative answer. The solution involves using moments and the thread ends with a request for help with the problem.
tomsdubs

Homework Statement

A uniform beam is supported at its centre of gravity. The forces, F, 4N and 6N act to keep the beam in equilibrium. Forces 4N and 6N are acting at 60deg to the horizontal, calculate the force F, if the beam remains in equilibrium.

F is acting upwards on the left of the beam with 4N at 60deg downwards. 6N is on the right acting at 60deg downwards.

Homework Equations

Now we know the physics teacher got this wrong and the answer to F will actually be a negative acting downwards from the top.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know where to start could someone outline the working for a solution?

Physics news on Phys.org
What force are you trying to calculate?

As I understand the problem, there is a beam of length L supported at L/2 from one end, at the cg of the beam. Then there is a 6 N force appied at the right end, acting 60 degrees downward from the x axis, and a 4 N force at the left end, acting 60 degrees downward from the x axis, and another force at the left, unknown, labeled F, acting vertically in an unknown up or down direction. If that's the case, sum moments of the vertical components of all forces about the center support = 0, and solve for F, and determine whether it acts up or down.

Equilibrium on a uniform beam problem

Homework Statement

4388288100_ce329b0b3a.jpg

Could someone please explain how i would solve this from the basics? I can't find any similar examples in my textbooks. All i remember is that the teacher made a slight mistake and the result may be negative?

Homework Equations

Attachments

• 4388288100_ce329b0b3a.jpg
    4388288100_ce329b0b3a.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 430
tomsdubs said:
Could someone please explain how i would solve this from the basics? I can't find any similar examples in my textbooks. All i remember is that the teacher made a slight mistake and the result may be negative?

You asked this before, but you never replied to the help you were given …
tomsdubs said:

Homework Statement

A uniform beam is supported at its centre of gravity. The forces, F, 4N and 6N act to keep the beam in equilibrium. Forces 4N and 6N are acting at 60deg to the horizontal, calculate the force F, if the beam remains in equilibrium.

F is acting upwards on the left of the beam with 4N at 60deg downwards. 6N is on the right acting at 60deg downwards.

Homework Equations

Now we know the physics teacher got this wrong and the answer to F will actually be a negative acting downwards from the top.

I don't know where to start could someone outline the working for a solution?

You need to use moments.

Show us what you've done, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help.

Moderator's Note: Threads merged.

1. What is equilibrium on a uniform beam?

Equilibrium on a uniform beam refers to the state in which the beam is balanced or stable, with no net force or torque acting on it. This means that the beam is not moving or rotating, and all the forces acting on it are equal and opposite.

2. How is equilibrium achieved on a uniform beam?

Equilibrium on a uniform beam is achieved when the sum of all the forces acting on the beam is zero and the sum of all the torques (or moments) acting on the beam is also zero. This can be achieved by adjusting the position of the loads or supports on the beam.

3. What are the forces that act on a uniform beam?

The forces that act on a uniform beam include the weight of the beam itself, any external loads placed on the beam, and the reaction forces from the supports. These forces can be either vertical or horizontal.

4. What is the center of gravity of a uniform beam?

The center of gravity of a uniform beam is the point at which the entire weight of the beam can be considered to act. In other words, it is the point where the beam would balance if it were suspended.

5. How is the center of gravity of a uniform beam calculated?

The center of gravity of a uniform beam can be calculated by finding the midpoint of the beam's length and the midpoint of its width. The center of gravity is then located at the intersection of these two points. In some cases, the center of gravity may also need to take into account the distribution of weight along the length of the beam.