Is JBuilder the Best Choice for Java Development?

• Thread starter Cachema
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Java
In summary, Java is a good language to learn, especially for job opportunities, web development, and learning object-oriented programming. However, if your specific needs and conditions do not align with Java's strengths, you may want to consider other options such as Smalltalk. Ultimately, it is important to choose a language that best suits your goals and preferences.
Cachema
Is Java good to learn ?
I just bought JBuilder and installed but it is really slow whenever it is started.
Why ?
I think I won't study it and will choose SmallTakl because I see the word SmallTakl in most of the books in my library.
Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends entirely on what you want to do, and how much programming experience you already have. Smalltalk is not a very general-purpose language, and I would suggest that you not begin with it.

- Warren

thank you, but you didt tell me why it slow ?

JBuilder is a java app I believe. Java Apps (especially large ones like JBuilder) run slower on different architectures and older hardware.

Cachema said:
Is Java good to learn ?
Yes.

I just bought JBuilder and installed but it is really slow whenever it is started.
Why ?
Java is not known for its fast executing programs. JBuilder was made using Java (if I remember correctly; I don't use it anymore) so...

I think I won't study it and will choose SmallTakl because I see the word SmallTakl in most of the books in my library.
Why don't you study both?

i'm not sure if this helps, but I am a computer science major, and java is the main language that we are learning with C++ as a very tight second. The more languages you learn the better, but I highly recommend that you learn either or both of these because it seems that is the way that things will be leaning in the future.

There are many different programs you can use to write java. My personal favorite is JCreator, I never really go the hang of using JBuilder. One of the professors at my school also wrote a program called MultiEd that let's you write programs for many different languages. It doesn't have any of the awesome features of JBuilder of JCreator, but its still easy to use.

What part of the JBuilder is running slow? If it is the part where you run the program, then it might be easier for you to go to your C Prompt and run the programs from there.

Java is really good to learn ... there are pretty neat things one can do with it ... and ofcourse it provides one of the most extensive library i have seen for a plausible GUI.
I would second daisyi on the editor ... JCreator is really good ... another editor worth a mention is NetBeans3.6 ... it is terribly slow in windows ... but it works pretty fast on linux ... and satisfies all my cravings for java programming under linux environment.

I haven't had much experience on smalltalk ... so i am not sure how good or bad it could be. Anyways ... its worth learning almost every language that exists on this planet and i do meant "almost every". :D

-- AI

I would first learn C, then C++.

TenaliRaman said:
I haven't had much experience on smalltalk ... so i am not sure how good or bad it could be. Anyways ... its worth learning almost every language that exists on this planet and i do meant "almost every". :D
All programming languages have the same expressive power to do computations. Then what makes one language "better" than another? Two things:
(1) It's ease of use (how quick it is to learn, how easy it is to code in, etc.)
(2) SUPPORT (this is the most important reason). How many big companies do you know who support Smalltalk? How many big companies do you know who support C/C++? Get the picture?

I disagree with: "its worth learning almost every language that exists on this planet..." There are too many computer languages out there (and you can make your own if you wanted). Same thing applies to spoken languages. What's the purpose of learning Icelandish (or whatever the speak in Iceland) if I'm living in Japan. What's the purpose of learning Smalltalk when I'm a Linux kernel hacker (and we only use C).

well it was my own personal opinion. u see i have this fetish for learning languages (tho yet unsatisfied but given an opportunity someday it will be).

i feel every language has its own beauty ... that's why u have fans of C, fans of C++,fans of Java etc etc ... and one need not even start with scripts and u get fans of perl,shell and so on ... Something in those languages has attracted the hearts of a few and its my inner desire to know what it is ... Well that makes the language worth enough to learn for me atleast. (ofcourse the same holds even for spoken languages but i am not particularly a linguist).

Disclaimer : i have said some loads of *bs* here doesn't necessarily make me smart or imply i know these languages :D

First of all, java != slow. If you are writting a small application, then the overhead of having bytecode isn't all that usefull, but if you're writting a large application like for a server then runtime profilling can be really beneficial.

Secondly, i recommend downloading sun's sdk
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html
and getting a good text editor with syntax highlighting like vim, emacs, scite, or whatever. Compile it via command line. Untill you move onto larger and very graphical applications all those extra features are just distractions.

Cachema said:
Is Java good to learn ?

There have been a number of good responses to your question.

The most important question is what you want to do with the programs that your write.

Java is one of the most useful languages if you are looking for a job.

java is one of the most useful languages if you want to do web development.

Java is one of the most useful languages if you want to learn object-oriented programming. which has advantages over procedural programming in many (but not all) ways.

Java is very good to learn. It is fun, easy, useful, and well-supported. Your conditions might be such that Java is not the best language. The fact that you are asking for our opinion makes it pretty obvious that Smalltalk is not a better alternative for you.

Goalie_Ca said:
First of all, java != slow.
Slow is a relative term so you have to pick some reference for comparison.

Secondly, i recommend downloading sun's sdk
Last I heard, IBM had the fastest JVM around. I don't know if they still offer it for download though. I don't know if Sun's JVM is the current fastest.

IBM Does, however, have the fastest compiler: jikes (look it up on google).

1. Is Java a good language to learn for beginners?

Yes, Java is considered to be one of the best programming languages for beginners. It has a simple syntax and is highly readable, making it easy to learn and understand. Additionally, Java is a popular language used in a variety of industries, making it a valuable skill to have in the job market.

2. Can I build real-world applications with Java?

Absolutely! Java is a versatile language that can be used for a wide range of applications, from web development to mobile app development. Many popular websites and mobile apps are built using Java, such as LinkedIn, Amazon, and Android apps.

3. Is Java still relevant in today's technology industry?

Yes, Java is still a highly relevant and widely used language in the technology industry. It is consistently ranked as one of the top programming languages in terms of popularity and demand for job positions. Many companies continue to use Java for its reliability and compatibility with various platforms.

4. How difficult is it to learn Java?

Learning any programming language can be challenging, but Java is considered to be one of the easier languages to learn. Its syntax is similar to other popular languages such as C++ and C#, and there are plenty of online resources and tutorials available to help beginners learn Java.

5. Are there any career opportunities for Java developers?

Yes, there are plenty of career opportunities for Java developers. Since Java is used in a variety of industries and applications, there is a constant demand for skilled Java developers. Job roles for Java developers include software engineer, web developer, mobile app developer, and more.