Max Range of a Cannon with Muzzle Speed 322 m/s

In summary: I got it right. Thanks so much for your help ;) Please help me to complete the "Calculate the time it took the marble to travel from N to P" problem ;)
huybinhs

Homework Statement

On level ground, what is the maximum range (in m) of a cannon with muzzle speed 322 m/s?

Please take a look at this:

http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af79/huybinhs/cannon2.gif

Homework Equations

R = (V0^2 * sin2angles)/g

The Attempt at a Solution

I think (not sure) the angles in the pic is 30 degree. And came up with the answer:

R= 9162.55 m, and it is wrong. Please help with direction as well as formula and the final answer.

Thanks so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Umm...unless you were meant to get a protractor and measure the angle, you don't have enough information for the problem. Also, the "direction" of the range is to the right. Were you given ANY other information?

If an object is launched on a flat surface the maximum range comes when the angle is 45.

Take another look at your range formula, you're given velocity and you know it's proportional to the sine of 2*angle. For what angle is sine 2*angle a maximum?

Gib Z said:
Umm...unless you were meant to get a protractor and measure the angle, you don't have enough information for the problem. Also, the "direction" of the range is to the right. Were you given ANY other information?

Please click on the link given. That's all I got!

Again:

http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af79/huybinhs/cannon2.gif

Jebus_Chris said:
If an object is launched on a flat surface the maximum range comes when the angle is 45.

So you mean after looking at the pic link, and you think the angle is 45 degree?

Does it look like the picture is drawn to scale?

In all fairness, even if it was scaled up the angle would remain identical, similar triangles and such. But, I don't think they're putting emphasis on the picture here, the question is simply "What is the maximum range for a cannon with muzzle velocity 322m/s?". So Jebus_Chris is right.

Keldon7 said:
In all fairness, even if it was scaled up the angle would remain identical, similar triangles and such. But, I don't think they're putting emphasis on the picture here, the question is simply "What is the maximum range for a cannon with muzzle velocity 322m/s?". So Jebus_Chris is right.

So, how to resolve this problem? Please help!

Jebus_Chris said:

So It comes out with:

=> R = 10580 m. Is this correct?

huybinhs said:
So It comes out with:

=> R = 10580 m. Is this correct?

I got it right. Thanks so much for your help ;) Please help me to complete the "Calculate the time it took the marble to travel from N to P" problem ;)

What is the formula for calculating the maximum range of a cannon?

The maximum range of a cannon can be calculated using the following formula: R = (V^2 * sin(2θ))/g, where R is the maximum range, V is the muzzle speed, θ is the angle of elevation, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

How do I determine the angle of elevation for maximum range?

The angle of elevation for maximum range can be determined by finding the angle at which the sine function is equal to 1. This angle is known as the optimum angle and is typically around 45 degrees for most cannons.

Can the maximum range of a cannon be increased by increasing the muzzle speed?

Yes, increasing the muzzle speed will result in an increase in the maximum range of a cannon. However, this increase may not be significant unless the initial muzzle speed is relatively low.

What factors can affect the maximum range of a cannon?

The maximum range of a cannon can be affected by several factors, including the muzzle speed, angle of elevation, air resistance, wind speed and direction, and the weight and shape of the projectile being fired.

Can the maximum range of a cannon be calculated using different units of measurement?

Yes, the maximum range of a cannon can be calculated using different units of measurement, such as feet per second for muzzle speed and feet for distance. However, it is important to ensure that all measurements are converted to the same units before using the formula to calculate the maximum range.