What can I expect from graduate level math courses?

In summary, the individual is entering grad school for math after graduating with a math major over 25 years ago. They are concerned about their rusty math skills but have been reviewing upper level undergraduate textbooks and feel confident. They are curious about the structure and classroom environment of grad level math courses. The structure and style of teaching may vary by instructor, with some incorporating more student participation and others following a lecture style. However, the individual should not worry too much as the classroom experience is likely to be similar to what they have experienced before.
drewnyl
As I mentioned in a previous post, I am entering grad school in math in fall 2010. I graduated university over 25 years ago majoring in math. My day job doesn't require the use of advanced math so I was hesitant about applying since my math skills have gotten a bit rusty. Though during the past few months I've read through a few upper level undergraduate math textbooks and I seem to be doing fine, however it's probably going to take some time to get used to doing advanced math for a good portion of my day. In all, I'm anxious to get started though I'm a bit nervous as well. Would anyone mind describing what graduate level math classes are like? I'm sure it varies by school and course, though if you can describe the basic structure of grad math courses I would appreciate it. I was also wondering... do the professors in graduate courses in math call out member of the class to answer questions without them voulenteering to answer (I used to hate when my high school teachers did this!). Any other knowledge you can provide that could help me adjust is appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Classroom environment depends on the instructor and style of teaching. What I mean by this is that some might do a method where the students essentially teach other and present solutions on the board while others stick to more lecture style where class participation is minimal. I don't think you have anything to worry about as I doubt the classroom experience has changed much in 25 years.

1. What are the benefits of attending grad school?

Attending grad school can provide advanced knowledge and skills in a specific field, increase job opportunities and earning potential, and provide a network of professional connections.

2. How do I choose the right grad school for me?

Consider factors such as program offerings, faculty expertise, research opportunities, location, cost, and reputation. It's also important to visit the campus and talk to current students and faculty to get a sense of the culture and community.

3. What are the requirements for getting into grad school?

Requirements vary depending on the program, but generally include a bachelor's degree, letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose, standardized test scores (such as the GRE), and a strong academic record. Some programs may also require relevant work experience or a portfolio.

4. How long does it take to complete grad school?

The length of grad school varies depending on the program and whether you attend full-time or part-time. Most master's degree programs take 1-2 years to complete, while doctoral programs can take 4-6 years.

5. Is it worth it to go to grad school?

This ultimately depends on your goals and career aspirations. Grad school can provide valuable skills and experiences, but it is also a significant time and financial commitment. It's important to carefully consider your options and weigh the potential benefits and costs before making a decision.