Expression with levi-civita symbol

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of simplifying the term \varepsilon^{i_1 \ldots i_n}\varepsilon_{j_1 \ldots j_n} (a_{i_1}^{j_1}\ldots a_{i_n}^{j_n}), which involves the levi-civita symbol and real numbers. The participants suggest various ways to rewrite the term and eventually come to the conclusion that it is equivalent to n!\cdot det((\mathbf{a}_1, \ldots, \mathbf{a}_n)). They also briefly discuss the number of odd and even permutations for different values of n.
mnb96
Hello,
during a calculation I got the following term:

[tex]\varepsilon^{i_1 \ldots i_n}\varepsilon_{j_1 \ldots j_n} (a_{i_1}^{j_1}\ldots a_{i_n}^{j_n})[/tex]

where [tex]\varepsilon[/tex] is the levi-civita symbol and [tex]a_i^j[/tex] are real numbers.

Is it possible to simplify that expression?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi mnb96! :wink:

I think you can write it [tex]{a_{[i_1 \ldots i_n]}}^{[j_1 \ldots j_n]}[/tex] :smile:

(or maybe that's out by a factor of 1/n!2 ? :redface:)

?? is that the solution ??

...I was wondering if that expression might perhaps be equivalent to the determinant of something. Any ideas?

mnb96 said:
?? is that the solution ??

...I was wondering if that expression might perhaps be equivalent to the determinant of something. Any ideas?

waa! I didn't notice that you changed the question a minute before I posted my answer. :cry:

...sorry :) :P
I realized of the mistake later, after re-reading my post :(

I thought about the following: since we have that,

[tex]
\varepsilon_{j_1 \ldots j_n} a_{1}^{j_1}\ldots a_{n}^{j_n} = det(A)
[/tex]

then,

[tex]
\varepsilon^{i_1 \ldots i_n}\varepsilon_{j_1 \ldots j_n} (a_{i_1}^{j_1}\ldots a_{i_n}^{j_n}) =
[/tex][tex]
=\sum_{k=1}^{n!}sgn(\sigma_k(n))\cdot \varepsilon_{j_1 \ldots j_n} a_{1}^{j_1}\ldots a_{n}^{j_n} =
[/tex][tex]
=\sum_{k=1}^{n!}sgn(\sigma_k(n))\cdot det(A)
[/tex]

where [tex]\sigma_k(n)[/tex] is the k-th permutation on the sequence [itex](1,\ldots,n)[/itex].
Is that correct?
Isn't that supposed to be zero?!

Hi mnb9! :smile:

(just got up :zzz: …)

I think it's clearer (and better, because it's accurate :wink:) to write it …

[tex]
\varepsilon_{j_1 \ldots j_n} a_{1}^{j_1}\ldots a_{n}^{j_n} = det((a_1,\cdots a_n))
[/tex]

then you get

[tex]
\varepsilon^{i_1 \ldots i_n}\varepsilon_{j_1 \ldots j_n} (a_{i_1}^{j_1}\ldots a_{i_n}^{j_n}) =
[/tex]

[tex]
\varepsilon^{i_1 \ldots i_n}det((a_i_1,\cdots a_i_n))
[/tex]

which is … ? :smile:

if it is true that given (1,...,n) there are always as many odd-permutations as even-permutations, then we get...zero! :) right?

BTW, I have some troubles with your notation [tex]det((a_1,\cdots a_n))[/tex]. What are those [tex]a_i[/tex] ?
I assume they are vectors.
I also assume those [tex]a_{i1}[/tex] and [tex]a_{in}[/tex] are instead the vectors [tex]\mathbf{a}_{i_1}[/tex] and [tex]\mathbf{a}_{i_n}[/tex]
Did I get it right?

Finally, do you know a good source in which I can find useful exercises and tricks about manipulations with this notation?

Last edited:
Hi mnb96! :smile:
mnb96 said:
if it is true that given (1,...,n) there are always as many odd-permutations as even-permutations, then we get...zero! :) right?

I don't think so … doesn't interchanging two indices multiply both the epsilon and the determinant by -1 ?
BTW, I have some troubles with your notation [tex]det((a_1,\cdots a_n))[/tex]. What are those [tex]a_i[/tex] ?
I assume they are vectors.
I also assume those [tex]a_{i1}[/tex] and [tex]a_{in}[/tex] are instead the vectors [tex]\mathbf{a}_{i_1}[/tex] and [tex]\mathbf{a}_{i_n}[/tex]

Yup! :biggrin:

(I couldn't be bothered to write it properly :rolleyes:)
Finally, do you know a good source in which I can find useful exercises and tricks about manipulations with this notation?

Sorry, no idea. :redface:

tiny-tim said:
Hi mnb96! :smile:

I don't think so … doesn't interchanging two indices multiply both the epsilon and the determinant by -1 ?

Damn! that's true, whenever we have an odd permutation the determinant should change its sign, but also the epsilon will be -1, so we finally have (crossing fingers): [tex]
\varepsilon^{i_1 \ldots i_n}\varepsilon_{j_1 \ldots j_n} (a_{i_1}^{j_1}\ldots a_{i_n}^{j_n}) = n!\cdot det((\mathbf{a}_1, \ldots, \mathbf{a}_n))
[/tex]

...Oh, BTW is it true that "given (1,...,n) there are always as many odd-permutations as even-permutations"? :redface:

mnb96 said:
...Oh, BTW is it true that "given (1,...,n) there are always as many odd-permutations as even-permutations"? :redface:

(btw, i think we usually use small letter for "btw" :wink:)

Only for n > 1 …

try starting the proof with "if there exists an odd permutation π, then … " :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Only for n > 1 …

Ah...why?
if n=1 we have:

[tex]
\varepsilon^{i_1}\varepsilon_{j_1}a_{i_1}^{j_1} = \varepsilon^{1}\varepsilon_{1}a_{1}^{1} = a_{1}^{1} = det(\mathbf{a}) = 1!det(\mathbf{a}) = n!\cdot det(\mathbf{a})
[/tex]

I assumed that permuting (1) zero times, means even permutation so that [tex]\varepsilon^{1}=+1[/tex]

That's a different question. :redface:

(and there are no odd permuatations for n = 1 :wink:)

Uhm...I am just wondering if we can just define the levi-civita symbol being equal to 1 in case the sequence has just one element, but that's not terribly important in any case :smile:

tiny-tim said:
(and there are no odd permuatations for n = 1 :wink:)

This reinforces the fact that the levi-civita symbol cannot be -1 for n=1, but there is no repetition of indices, so it should not even be 0.

1. What is the Levi-Civita symbol and what does it represent?

The Levi-Civita symbol, also known as the epsilon tensor, is a mathematical symbol used in vector calculus to represent the permutation of indices in a vector or tensor. It is defined as 1 when the indices are in an even permutation, -1 when in an odd permutation, and 0 when there are repeated indices.

2. How is the Levi-Civita symbol used in cross product calculations?

The Levi-Civita symbol is used in cross product calculations to simplify the expression for the cross product of two vectors. It allows for the calculation to be written in terms of determinants, making it easier to solve and understand.

3. Can the Levi-Civita symbol be used in higher dimensions?

Yes, the Levi-Civita symbol can be extended to higher dimensions, where it becomes an n-dimensional analog. It is commonly used in three dimensions, but can also be used in four or more dimensions.

4. Is the Levi-Civita symbol related to the Kronecker delta?

Yes, the Levi-Civita symbol and the Kronecker delta are related in that they both represent special cases of the more general permutation tensor. The Kronecker delta is a simplified version of the Levi-Civita symbol when the indices are repeated, resulting in a value of 1 or 0.

5. Can the Levi-Civita symbol be used in other areas of science?

Yes, the Levi-Civita symbol has applications in various fields such as electromagnetism, fluid mechanics, and quantum mechanics. It is also used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving rotations and angular momentum.