What is the Proof Stress of Heat-Treated Tool Steel?

In summary, the individual is struggling to find the proof stress of tool steel after heat treatment. They mention a load-extension curve and the definition of proof stress being 0.2% of the original cross sectional area. They also mention transforming load to stress and extension to strain. They then conclude that there is no proof stress due to the absence of a curve and will use the ultimate tensile strength instead.
aussiebeef
Hi people
need help on finding the proof stress of tool steel after heat treatment can't seem to get it
thanks

Attachments

• PTE_Silver_STEEL_After_HT.is_tens.pdf
    18.9 KB · Views: 246
Physics news on Phys.org
Please guys struggling on were the .2% proof stress goes

Is this homework?

One has a load-extension or rather a load-displacement curve, and one needs to plot a stress (a function of load/force and cross-sectional area) and strain (related to the extension/displacement).

What does one know about the definition of proof stress?

Proof stress is .2% of the original cross sectional area, then measure line out of the 0.2% strain parallel to the stress/strain line until it hits the stress/strain curve. I think that's what it means but I can't see a curve on the stress/strain line I don't what really to do.

Yeah its homework lol

aussiebeef said:
Proof stress is .2% of the original cross sectional area, then measure line out of the 0.2% strain parallel to the stress/strain line until it hits the stress/strain curve. I think that's what it means but I can't see a curve on the stress/strain line I don't what really to do.

Yeah its homework lol
One has to transform the load to stress, and the extension to strain.

What is the significance of the specimen showing extension without load increase?

i figure it out there is no proof stress due to no curve to you just use the UTS thanks for the help

1. What is proof stress of tool steel?

The proof stress of tool steel is a measure of the stress that a material can withstand without permanent deformation. It is the stress at which a material begins to exhibit plastic behavior and is often used as an indicator of a material's strength and durability.

2. How is proof stress of tool steel determined?

The proof stress of tool steel is determined through a tensile test, also known as a tension test. This involves pulling a sample of the material until it reaches its breaking point, while measuring the amount of force applied. The proof stress is then calculated by dividing the force by the original cross-sectional area of the sample.

3. Why is proof stress important in tool steel?

Proof stress is important in tool steel because it indicates the point at which the material will permanently deform under stress. This is crucial in applications where the steel is subjected to high levels of stress, such as in the manufacturing of tools and machinery.

4. What factors can affect the proof stress of tool steel?

The proof stress of tool steel can be affected by several factors, including the composition of the steel, its heat treatment, and its microstructure. The presence of impurities, such as sulfur and phosphorus, can also impact the proof stress of tool steel.

5. How can the proof stress of tool steel be increased?

The proof stress of tool steel can be increased through various methods, such as alloying the steel with elements like chromium, vanadium, and molybdenum, which can improve its strength and toughness. Heat treatment processes, such as quenching and tempering, can also increase the proof stress of tool steel.