2 objects travelling in separate dimensions

• Thread starter nSMITH
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dimensions
In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine the overall velocity of an object traveling in the x direction at 0.935c and another object traveling at 0.98c in the z direction, from the point of view of the first object. A forumula for adding orthogonal velocities in special relativity is provided and it is suggested to use Google for further research. A proper formula for the overall velocity is then presented, which yields a result that is less than c for both velocities.
nSMITH

Homework Statement

One object is traveling in the x direction at 0.935c and another is traveling at 0.98c in the z direction. Determine the overall velocity of the second object from the point of view of the first object.

Homework Equations

v'x=(vx-v)/(1-vx*(v/c^2))

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea where to start

Physics news on Phys.org
Having no idea where to start, you should have checked wikipedia:P
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velocity-addition_formula
And off you go with a beautiful formula for adding orthogonal velocities in SR. Couple more years and I'll be able to derive it myself \m/. Till then, use google :P

You think I'd be asking here if I could figure it out from wikipedia/google?

My apologies for providing you with a wrong formula.
No apologies, however, for suggesting you to google, because after a couple more minutes... http://www.mathpages.com/home/kmath216/kmath216.htm here you are, the proper formula:
v=Sqrt[1-(1-vx^2)(1-vy^2)]
I'm afraid i don't know where it comes from, but the result seems fine, as it increases both of the velocities, still being less then c, whereas the formula form wikipedia gave the result that was lesser than 0.98c.
No offence :)

1. What are separate dimensions?

Separate dimensions refer to different planes of existence or alternate realities that exist parallel to our own. It is theorized that there are multiple dimensions beyond the three-dimensional world we can perceive.

2. How can two objects travel in separate dimensions?

The concept of two objects traveling in separate dimensions is purely theoretical and has not been proven. However, it is believed that if an object has the ability to move between dimensions, it could potentially travel alongside another object that also has this capability.

3. Is it possible for objects to interact in separate dimensions?

Again, this is purely theoretical. It is believed that if two objects were to travel in separate dimensions, they would exist in different planes of existence and therefore would not be able to interact with each other. However, some theories suggest that there may be ways to communicate or influence other dimensions.

4. Can we observe or detect objects traveling in separate dimensions?

As of now, we do not have the technology or means to observe or detect objects traveling in separate dimensions. Our current understanding of physics and the laws of our universe do not support the existence of other dimensions, so it is difficult to measure or prove their existence.

5. How does the concept of separate dimensions impact our understanding of the universe?

The concept of separate dimensions challenges our current understanding of the universe and raises questions about the nature of reality. It opens up possibilities for alternate realities and parallel universes, and could potentially change the way we view our own existence and place in the universe.