Tracking Antenna Elevation Control: Equation to Block Diagram

In summary: Js + 50B)where H(s) is the overall transfer function between Va and \theta.Finally, in part c), we are given a feedback law for the antenna angle \theta in terms of a reference command \thetar. This means that the input voltage Va will be adjusted based on the difference between \thetar and \theta. As mentioned in the homework equations, this is a closed loop system. The block diagram for this system would look like this:[Input] \thetar ---> [Feedback Control] K ---> [Motor] ---> [Output] Tc, \thetaThe feedback control block takes in the reference command \thetar and produces an output voltage that is proportional to
super sky
I'm having a little trouble using the Latex thing so I've only used it for some of the equations.

Homework Statement

Elevation control of a tracking antenna.
Equation of motion for the system J[tex]\theta[/tex][tex]^{..}[/tex]+B[tex]\theta[/tex][tex]^{.}[/tex] = Tc+w ... Equation 1 (those dots are meant to be above the thetas, but I don't know how to do that... see attachment q1 for the equation)
Antenna and drive mechanism have J = moment of inertia, B is the damping coefficient, Tc is the torque from the drive motor, w is a disturbance torque, and [tex]\theta[/tex] is elevation angle of the dish.

Model the dish as a thin disc with diameter 2m, mass 40kg and rotates about central axis (J=MR2/4)
Damping coefficient = 20Nmsec

Torque exerted by DC motor: Tm=KT/RaVa-KTKB/Ra[tex]\theta[/tex]m[tex]^{.}[/tex] ... equation 2
where [tex]\theta[/tex]m is the angular position of the motor shaft which is connected to the load, via a 50:1 gearbox.

Motor parameters Jm=0.01kgm2, Ra=5ohms, KT=0.2Nm/A, KB=2Vsec

a) Draw a block diagram of the motor itself(i.e. showing the relationship between the applied voltave Va, the load torque Tc and motor speed [tex]\theta[/tex]m[tex]^{.}[/tex] and position [tex]\theta[/tex]m)

b) Find the transfer function between the applied voltage Va and the antenna angle theta assuming zero disturbance torque.

c) Suppose the applied voltage is computed so that theta tracks a reference command thetar according to the feedback law VA=K(thetar-theta) where K is the feedback gain. Draw a block diagram of the resulting feedback system showing both theta, the reference position thetar and disturbance torque w. Find the transfer function between thetar and theta assuming zero disturbance torque.

There are a few other parts to the question, but they need to be worked through sequentially and I'm a little more hopeful about having an idea of them once I know what to do here.

Homework Equations

Laplace Transforms... The derivative one: Laplace{\ddot{f}}=s2F(s)-sf(0)-s\dot{f}(0)

Transfer function of a closed loop system T(s) = G(s)/(1+G(s)H(s))

The Attempt at a Solution

Taking equation 1 and laplace transforming, assuming zero initial conditions:
Js2theta(s) + Bstheta(s) = Tc(s) +w

Rearrange:
theta(s) = 1/(Js2+Bs) * (Tc(s) +w)

See attachment 1, after where I've written equations 1 and 2...
I think I'm going ok up to where I try to draw the block diagram with Tm in attachment 2.
Then I'm not sure what to do with the equation to make it into a block diagram. I don't think it's a closed loop (because that comes later in part c with the reference..?) but I seem to have two inputs, Va and thetam... And so I'm not sure how to go about putting it in a block diagram other than what I've done.

Any help would be super. Thanks.

Attachments

• q1.JPG
    q1.JPG
    18.7 KB · Views: 486
  • q2.JPG
    q2.JPG
    19.9 KB · Views: 498
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post and for providing the necessary equations and information. I would be happy to assist you with your problem.

Firstly, to type the dots above the thetas in the equation, you can use the caret symbol "^" followed by the dot symbol "." in between the curly braces, like this: \theta^{..}. This will display the dots above the thetas.

Now, moving on to the problem, let's start with drawing the block diagram for the motor itself. The motor is a component in the overall system, so it is not a closed loop yet. We can start with the input voltage Va, which is the applied voltage to the motor. This voltage is responsible for driving the motor and producing the output torque Tc. The motor also has an angular position \thetam, which is connected to the load through a gearbox. This position is also an output of the motor. So, our block diagram for the motor would look something like this:

[Input] Va ---> [Motor] ---> [Output] Tc, \thetam

In this block diagram, the motor is represented as a box and the input and output are shown with arrows pointing towards the box. The output torque Tc and the angular position \thetam are the outputs of the motor and are affected by the input voltage Va.

Next, we can find the transfer function between the input voltage Va and the output angular position \thetam. Using equation 2, we can write the transfer function as:

G(s) = \thetam(s)/Va(s) = (KT/Ra)/(Js + B)

where G(s) is the transfer function, \thetam(s) is the Laplace transform of the angular position \thetam and Va(s) is the Laplace transform of the input voltage Va. This transfer function tells us how the input voltage affects the output angular position.

Moving on to part b), we can now find the transfer function between the applied voltage Va and the antenna angle \theta. Since the motor is connected to the antenna through the gearbox, we can use the transfer function we just found to find the overall transfer function between Va and \theta. Using the fact that the motor is connected to the antenna through a 50:1 gearbox, we can write the overall transfer function as:

H(s) = \theta(s)/Va(s) = G(s)/50 = (KT/R

1. What is a tracking antenna elevation control system?

A tracking antenna elevation control system is a mechanism that allows an antenna to accurately track and follow a moving object, such as a satellite or aircraft, by adjusting its elevation angle. This system is typically used in satellite communication, radar systems, and other applications that require precise tracking of a moving target.

2. How does the elevation control system work?

The elevation control system uses an equation or algorithm to calculate the proper elevation angle for the antenna based on the position of the target and the location of the antenna. This information is then fed into a block diagram, which controls the movement of the antenna to adjust its elevation angle accordingly.

3. What is the purpose of the equation in the elevation control system?

The equation in the elevation control system is used to calculate the elevation angle of the antenna based on the known parameters of the target and the antenna's location. This ensures that the antenna is pointing in the correct direction to track the target accurately.

4. What is a block diagram in the context of elevation control?

A block diagram is a graphical representation of the elevation control system that shows the various components and how they are connected. It provides a visual representation of the system and helps in understanding the flow of information and control signals between different components.

5. Can the elevation control system be used in all types of antennas?

Yes, the elevation control system can be used in various types of antennas, including parabolic, helical, and phased array antennas. The system can be adapted and customized to work with different types of antennas, depending on the specific tracking needs and requirements.