Comparing AutoCAD 2004 and 2005

• Thread starter Cod
  • Start date
  • Tags
    autocad
In summary, the conversation discusses the release of AutoCad 2005 on the Autodesk website and the differences between the 2004 and 2005 editions. The speaker is unsure if the changes and new features are significant enough to justify an upgrade, but notes that they are eligible for an academic discount. There is also mention of possible changes to the interface and improvements in porting information between programs.
Cod
I was browsing the Autodesk website today and happened to notice that AutoCad 2005 has been released. Not sure how long it has been out, but I just noticed it. Anyways, I was as to how much of a difference their is between the 2004 edition and the newest edition (2005)? Are the differences and new features significant enough to pay for the upgrade to 2005? I get an academic discount, so price is only a small factor.

Any advice or help is greatly appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
most likely the only thing that changed is the interface, IF that, and a few minor tweaks

IIRC, they changed several things relating to porting information between different programs.

1. What are the main differences between AutoCAD 2004 and 2005?

AutoCAD 2005 introduced several new features, including dynamic blocks, improved layer management, and better support for 3D modeling. It also had a revamped user interface and improved performance compared to AutoCAD 2004.

2. Can I open AutoCAD 2005 files in AutoCAD 2004?

Yes, AutoCAD 2004 can open AutoCAD 2005 files, but some of the newer features may not be supported. It is recommended to save the file in a compatible format before opening it in AutoCAD 2004.

3. Is there a significant price difference between AutoCAD 2004 and 2005?

The prices for AutoCAD 2004 and 2005 are typically similar, with AutoCAD 2005 being slightly more expensive. However, this may vary depending on the specific version and licensing options.

4. Which version of AutoCAD is better for 2D drafting?

Both AutoCAD 2004 and 2005 are suitable for 2D drafting. However, AutoCAD 2005 introduced new tools and features specifically for 2D drafting, making it a better choice for this type of work.

5. Are there any compatibility issues when working with files between AutoCAD 2004 and 2005?

Generally, there shouldn't be any major compatibility issues when working with files between AutoCAD 2004 and 2005. However, it is always recommended to save files in a compatible format to ensure smooth collaboration between different versions.