Work on Electricity (is this right?)

In summary, the formula U=K(q1q2/r12 + q1q3/r13 + q1q4/r14 + q2q3/r23 + q2q4/r24 + q3q4/r34) can be used to calculate the work required to assemble a charge arrangement with four identical point charges (+4.0 mC) at the corners of a 20-cm square, starting with each charge at a very large distance from the others. The answer should be accompanied by units.
GlobalDuty

Homework Statement

Four identical point charges (+4.0 mC) are placed at the
corners of a square which has 20-cm sides. How much work is required to
assemble this charge arrangement starting with each of the charges a very large
distance from any of the other charges?

The Attempt at a Solution

I want to know if this is the right formula and answer:

U=K(q1q2/r12 + q1q3/r13 + q1q4/r14 + q2q3/r23 + q2q4/r24 + q3q4/r34)
i got 3.9 as the answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
GlobalDuty said:

Homework Statement

Four identical point charges (+4.0 mC) are placed at the
corners of a square which has 20-cm sides. How much work is required to
assemble this charge arrangement starting with each of the charges a very large
distance from any of the other charges?

The Attempt at a Solution

I want to know if this is the right formula and answer:

U=K(q1q2/r12 + q1q3/r13 + q1q4/r14 + q2q3/r23 + q2q4/r24 + q3q4/r34)
i got 3.9 as the answer.

Looks like a reasonable approach to me. You should get in the habit of putting units on at least the answer, though.

1. How does electricity work?

Electricity is a form of energy that is created when electrons move from one atom to another. This flow of electrons is called an electric current. It can be generated through various means such as chemical reactions, friction, or magnetism.

2. What is the difference between AC and DC electricity?

AC stands for alternating current, while DC stands for direct current. The main difference between the two is the direction in which the electric current flows. In AC, the current changes direction periodically, while in DC, it flows in only one direction.

3. What are the different components of an electrical circuit?

An electrical circuit typically consists of a power source, conductors (wires), and a load (such as a light bulb or a motor). Other components may include switches, resistors, and capacitors, depending on the specific circuit and its purpose.

4. How is electricity measured?

Electricity is measured in units of volts (V), amps (A), and watts (W). Voltage measures the force or pressure of the electric current, while amperage measures the amount of current flowing. Watts are used to measure the power or energy consumed by an electrical device.

5. What are some safety precautions for working with electricity?

When working with electricity, it is important to always turn off the power source before handling any wires or components. It is also recommended to use tools with insulated handles and to wear protective gear, such as rubber gloves. Additionally, it is important to never overload outlets or extension cords and to regularly check for frayed wires or damaged equipment.