Up, anti-up quark annihilation Feynman diagram

In summary, at the Tevatron, the process u ̅u → τ+τ− is observed. The lowest order Feynman diagrams for this process involve the weak force (W-) and time-reversed tau decay. The diagrams cannot be mediated by the W due to charge conservation, and gluons can be ruled out because they do not couple to leptons. Further identification of the diagram is needed.
Sonko

Homework Statement

At the Tevatron you observe the process u ̅u → τ+τ. Draw the lowest order Feynman diagrams for the processes involved and state which interactions are
responsible. Label all internal lines, external lines and vertices

[u = up quark, τ = tau lepton]

The Attempt at a Solution

Once i have the basic feynman diagram i can eaily label the internal/external lines and the vertices, however I'm simply having a problem identifying the diagram. From what i can think of right now i would assume the weak force (W-) is the process involved which would be just like a time reversed tau decay, however i can't picture how the feyman diagram would look?

Physics news on Phys.org
It can't be mediated by the W because you won't be able to conserve charge at the vertices. You can rule out gluons because they don't couple to leptons, so what else is left?

1. What is an "up, anti-up quark annihilation Feynman diagram"?

An "up, anti-up quark annihilation Feynman diagram" is a graphical representation of the process in which an up quark and an anti-up quark collide and annihilate each other, producing a photon or a Z boson.

2. How does the annihilation process work?

In the annihilation process, the up quark and anti-up quark collide and convert their mass into energy in the form of a photon or a Z boson. This process is governed by the laws of quantum field theory and is described by the Feynman diagram.

3. What is the significance of this Feynman diagram?

This Feynman diagram is significant because it illustrates a fundamental interaction between two particles, showing how they can combine and transform into other particles. It also helps to explain the concept of charge symmetry, where particles and antiparticles have opposite charges and can annihilate each other.

4. How is this diagram used in particle physics research?

The up, anti-up quark annihilation Feynman diagram is used in particle physics research to study the properties of quarks and their interactions. It can also be used to calculate the probability or rate of this process occurring in particle collisions, providing valuable insights into the fundamental forces of nature.

5. Are there other Feynman diagrams similar to this one?

Yes, there are many other Feynman diagrams that depict different particle interactions, including annihilation processes between other types of particles. These diagrams are essential tools in understanding and predicting the behavior of subatomic particles in various physical phenomena.