Volkswagen commercial for the Phaeton

• Thread starter Dagenais
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a Volkswagen commercial for their Phaeton model featuring an African-American father and son. The group then questions the effectiveness of the commercial, suggesting that a rich Caucasian woman would be a better target audience. The conversation also touches on SUV commercials and their failure to properly target their market. The conversation concludes with a discussion on various commercials, such as those for male enhancement pills and bankruptcy information tapes, and the perceived waste of money on redundant ads.
Dagenais
First, I'd like to note that I'm not sure whether this is in the right section or not.

How many of you have catched that new Volkswagen commercial for the Phaeton, featuring an African-American father and his young son (around 10).

It shows the father and the son happily riding along. The kid was in the front seat, which I think is illegal for his age. Not sure...

Anyways, they're riding along in this $65,000USD overpriced Volkswagen, the annoyed father explaining to his kid what all the features of the cars are for.

I'm sitting on the sofa thinking to myself, they completely missed their correct market. I don't have any business training, but I know a bad commercial when I see one, and I'm sure most of you do too.

Someone, I think it was BlackVision, showed statistics that African-Americans have the lowest average income. Asians with the highest.

So, why did Volkswagen choose casually dressed African-americans? Is this the market they are aiming for?

That lead me to another question. If I worked for VW and I was the President of Marketing, who would I choose to be in the commercial?

The answer was immediately a rich Caucasian person. She would be in the car by herself, in a nice, effeminate business suit wearing a watch. Using the features of the car for business purposes.

Now to me, this would be the correct audience. VWs are sometimes known to appeal more to women then men. Plus, those who can afford $70,000 cars are probably high-ups in the business field, medical professionals, or other professional positions (lawyer, accountants).

It would also shout independence, because it's a female by herself, driving the car herself. Volkswagen Phaeton = Independence. Stereotypical and sexist...yes, but it works.

If you were part of a marketing team, and you had to choose who to market a $70,000 car to, who would it be?

In my opinion, Volkswagen completely missed their correct target. I'm not saying that African-Americans can't afford these type of cars, but statistically other races have a better chance. Plus, I've both witnessed and read that American cars such as Lincolns are more popular in their culture.

Why not Asians? The race with the highest annual income?

Am I missing a major social factor here that determines a market for a car? What do car manufacturers usually research before putting out these commercials?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are plenty of black people cruisin' around in slick luxury sedans and SUV's that cost way too much more for pointless extra space and gas. It's a pretty mixed demographic.

SUV makers are missing their market too. Look around on any street you go and look into the SUV's. You probably won't find them loaded with canoes, paddles, skis and crap, maybe a couple of grocery bags and a kid that would easily fit into a Ford Festiva. Yet all the commercials are still perpetually depicting off road adventuring, driving on glaciers and up volcanoes.

I was watchin Saturday morning TV and they had the Discovery Channel Jr. show and in between toy commercials there was a commercial with a boring old man (Peter Francis Geraci) speaking in monotone about bankruptcy info tapes and chapters 7 &1 3.

Every time I see this obnoxious commercial about pills for natural male enhancement, it repeats itself. Why would the network waste the airspace or the pharmaceutical company waste their cash for redundent crap?

Find your remote control! You left it in the kitchen when you raided the fridge. Switch to PBS, at least it's a commercial free sanctuary (unless they're asking for $$$).

Firstly, it is important to note that marketing strategies and target audiences can vary greatly depending on the company's goals and objectives. While some may argue that Volkswagen's commercial for the Phaeton missed its target audience, it is also possible that the company was aiming for a different demographic or had a different message they wanted to convey.

It is also worth noting that the commercial may have been created with the intention of promoting diversity and inclusivity, rather than solely targeting a specific race or demographic. In today's society, it is important for companies to showcase diversity and representation in their advertisements.

Moreover, it is not uncommon for car companies to use different demographics and personas in their commercials to appeal to a wider audience. For example, while the commercial may feature a father and son, it does not necessarily mean that the car is only marketed towards families.

In terms of market research, car manufacturers typically conduct extensive research on consumer preferences, buying behaviors, and target demographics before creating a marketing campaign. However, it is also important to note that these factors can change and evolve over time, and companies may need to adapt their strategies accordingly.

Overall, while it is valid to question and analyze the target audience and messaging of a commercial, it is important to consider the various factors and perspectives that may have influenced the company's decision.

1. What is the Volkswagen Phaeton?

The Volkswagen Phaeton is a luxury sedan produced by the German automaker Volkswagen. It was first introduced in 2002 and was marketed as a high-end alternative to other luxury cars such as Mercedes-Benz and BMW.

2. What is the purpose of the Volkswagen commercial for the Phaeton?

The purpose of the commercial is to promote the Phaeton as a luxury car and showcase its features and capabilities. It also aims to attract potential buyers and increase brand awareness for Volkswagen in the luxury car market.

3. What makes the Volkswagen Phaeton different from other luxury cars?

The Phaeton was designed with advanced technology and high-quality materials, making it stand out from other luxury cars. It also offers a spacious and comfortable interior, along with a smooth and powerful driving experience.

4. Was the Volkswagen Phaeton successful in the market?

The Phaeton did not achieve the success that Volkswagen had hoped for in the luxury car market. It faced tough competition from established luxury brands and was discontinued in the United States in 2006. However, it is still sold in other markets and has a loyal following.

5. What is the future of the Volkswagen Phaeton?

In 2016, Volkswagen announced that they would be reintroducing the Phaeton as an all-electric luxury car. However, due to the diesel emissions scandal and a shift in focus towards electric vehicles, the future of the Phaeton is uncertain. It is currently not in production, but there are rumors that it may make a comeback in the near future.