Calculate Heat Removed from 130 g Steam to Ice

In summary, the question asks for the amount of heat needed to be removed when 130 g of steam at 145°C is cooled and frozen into 130 g of ice at 0°C. Using the specific heat of steam and water, the solution is calculated in Joules and then converted to kcal. However, the answer may be incorrect due to not accounting for the latent heat of condensation.
jagged06

Homework Statement

How much heat must be removed when 130 g of steam at 145°C is cooled and frozen into 130 g of ice at 0°C. (Take the specific heat of steam to be 2.01 kJ/kg·K.)

Answer is in kcal.

Homework Equations

sht.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

I know steam turns back into water at 100°C

Q1=C1m(deltaT)
Q1=(2010 J//kg·K)(.13kg)(418.15K-373.15K)

In the second part, instead of using the specific heat of steam, I used the specific heat of water= 4.186 joule/gram °C

Q2=C2m(deltaT)
Q2=(4.186 J/g·°C)(130g)(100°C)

I then added Q1 to Q2 and came up with an answer in Joules.
1 joule = 0.000239005736 kilocalories

But my answer is wrong. Anyone see what I missed? Probably a conversion issue.

Physics news on Phys.org
Condensation (latent heat).

1. How do you calculate the heat removed from 130 g of steam to ice?

To calculate the heat removed, you will need to use the formula Q = mCΔT, where Q is the heat removed, m is the mass of the substance, C is the specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature. You will also need to know the specific heat capacity of steam and ice, which are 2.01 J/g°C and 2.09 J/g°C respectively.

2. What is the mass of steam and ice in this calculation?

The mass of steam is given as 130 g in the question. To find the mass of ice, you will need to use the conservation of mass principle, which states that mass is neither created nor destroyed in a chemical reaction. This means that the mass of ice will also be 130 g.

3. How do you convert steam to ice in this calculation?

The conversion of steam to ice is achieved by removing heat from the steam. As heat is removed, the temperature of the steam will decrease until it reaches its melting point, at which point it will start to turn into ice. This process is known as condensation.

4. What is the specific heat capacity of water in this calculation?

The specific heat capacity of water is not relevant to this calculation as we are converting steam to ice, not water. The specific heat capacity of steam and ice are used instead. However, the specific heat capacity of water is 4.18 J/g°C.

5. What is the change in temperature in this calculation?

The change in temperature is the difference between the initial and final temperatures of the substance. In this case, the initial temperature of steam is 100°C and the final temperature of ice is 0°C. Therefore, the change in temperature is -100°C. The negative sign indicates a decrease in temperature.