What is the meaning of this circuit symbol?

In summary, the top left symbol in the Cockroft-Walton schematic is most likely a fuse, denoted by the zig zag line and current specification. A suitable circuit breaker or fuse for this application would be one rated for a 100mA cutoff and wall AC. Equations for calculating charging time and max current intake for a Cockroft-Walton voltage multiplier were also requested, keeping in mind the need for single-variable calculus for a high school student. It is important to note that the person asking for assistance is being supervised by an experienced adult.
wil3
What is the meaning of the topleft most symbol in this Cockroft-Walton schematic?

http://www.instructables.com/files/deriv/F85/ISAS/FL77XCRN/F85ISASFL77XCRN.MEDIUM.jpg

It's the box with the zig zag line through it. I noticed that he is using boxes to denote resistors, but the zig zag line and current specification makes me think that it may be a fuse.

If such is the case, what is a suitable circuit breaker or fuse to use in this application? Will anything rated for a 100mA cutoff and wall AC be suitable?

If anyone would like to share some of the equations (aka charging time derivations, way to calculate max current intake, etc) for a Cockroft-Walton voltage multiplier, I would appreciate it. I am in high school, so please keep the calculus single-variable, if possible ;)

Thank you in advance for any responses.

And yes, berkeman, I am being supervised by an experienced adult :]

Engineering news on Phys.org
I would say it is a fuse rated at .1 amp.

Averagesupernova said:
I would say it is a fuse rated at .1 amp.

Me too.

1. What does this circuit symbol represent?

The circuit symbol represents a specific electronic component or function within an electrical circuit. It is used to visually represent different types of components, such as resistors, capacitors, transistors, and more.

2. How do I interpret this circuit symbol?

To interpret a circuit symbol, you will need to understand its shape, orientation, and any accompanying labels. These symbols are standardized and can be found in reference books or online resources. Alternatively, you can use a circuit diagram software to identify and interpret the symbols.

3. Can I change the circuit symbol to something else?

No, the circuit symbol is a standardized representation of a specific component or function in an electrical circuit. Changing the symbol could lead to confusion and incorrect interpretation of the circuit. It is important to use the correct symbol for the component or function in your circuit design.

4. Are there different circuit symbols for the same component?

Yes, there may be different circuit symbols for the same component, depending on the circuit diagram standards used. For example, the symbol for a resistor may vary slightly between American and European standards. It is important to be familiar with the standards used in your region when interpreting circuit symbols.

5. Can I use a circuit symbol to determine the value of a component?

No, a circuit symbol does not provide information about the value of a component. It is only a visual representation of the component or function in a circuit. To determine the value of a component, you will need to read its label or use a multimeter to measure it.

Back