Determining Norton Equivalent of a Circuit

In summary: It would appear across the entire circuit, including the 3 ohm resistor. 3. If you wanted to calculate the voltage across the 3 ohm resistor, you'd need to add the voltage from the source back in.
James889
Hello,

I have the following circuit:

[PLAIN]http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/6981/nortonm.png

I need to determine the Norton equivalent for this circuit.
I wonder whether the easiest way to solve this is by zeroing the independent source, connecting a test voltage source and calculate the equivalent resistance.

The dependent source confuses me somewhat, being positioned in parallel with the resistance.

Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It confuses me too. What does the diamond represent? Is it a current source, or something else?

Last edited:
Phrak said:
It confuses me too. What does the diamond represent? Is it a current source, or something else?

Oh, forgot to write it out.

It's a current source.

Convert the current source and its parallel 2 ohm resistor into a voltage source in series with a 2 ohm resistor. That should remove the confusion.

Where is V in your circuit?

CEL said:
Where is V in your circuit?

V is the voltage across the 3ohm resistor.

James889 said:
V is the voltage across the 3ohm resistor.
The potential difference from bottom to top or top to bottom?

Also, the units of K don't make sense. An ampere is equal to a volt per ohm, not a volt-ohm.

vela said:
The potential difference from bottom to top or top to bottom?

Also, the units of K don't make sense. An ampere is equal to a volt per ohm, not a volt-ohm.

I think K is the transconductance: amps/volt.

The Electrician said:
I think K is the transconductance: amps/volt.

The drawing a made seem to have caused a bit of confusion, since i forgot to put all the details in:redface:

Anyway, here is how it is supposed to look:
[PLAIN]http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/9333/nortony.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I suggest you use a 1-A test current source instead of a 1-V test voltage source.

vela said:
I suggest you use a 1-A test current source instead of a 1-V test voltage source.

Ok, so zero the independent source, connect a test current across the terminals and find the voltage across the 3 ohm resistor?

Yeah, that's how you'd start. Then once you know Vx, you can calculate the current through the 2-ohm resistor, and finally calculate the total voltage drop across the test source.

So,

If you imagine the voltage source as a short, and a 1A current source applied to the two terminals.

You'd get

[tex]\frac{6}{6+3} \cdot 1 = 0.667A[/tex]

[tex]0.667 \cdot 3 = 2[/tex]

So [tex]V_x = 20 V [/tex]

2 + 18(from the Voltage source) ?

You removed the 18-V source and replaced it with a short. It's not in the circuit anymore, so Vx is simply 2 V. (And you wouldn't just arbitrarily add 18 V in anyway, even if the source was still there.)

vela said:
You removed the 18-V source and replaced it with a short. It's not in the circuit anymore, so Vx is simply 2 V. (And you wouldn't just arbitrarily add 18 V in anyway, even if the source was still there.)

Why not?, 18V appear across the 3 ohm resistor ?

1. You removed the 18-V source from the circuit.
2. Even if it were still in the circult, the entire 18 V wouldn't appear across just that one element.

1. What is the Norton Equivalent of a circuit?

The Norton Equivalent of a circuit is a simplified representation of a complex circuit that contains only a current source and a parallel resistance. It is named after its creator, Edward Norton.

2. Why is it important to determine the Norton Equivalent of a circuit?

Determining the Norton Equivalent of a circuit allows us to analyze and understand the behavior of a complex circuit in a simpler and more manageable way. It can also help us to design and troubleshoot circuits more efficiently.

3. How do you calculate the Norton Equivalent current?

The Norton Equivalent current is equal to the short-circuit current of the original circuit. To calculate it, you can use the current division rule or the superposition theorem.

4. What is the difference between Norton and Thevenin equivalents?

The Norton and Thevenin equivalents are both simplified representations of a complex circuit, but they use different equivalent components. Thevenin equivalent uses a voltage source and a series resistance, while the Norton equivalent uses a current source and a parallel resistance.

5. Can the Norton Equivalent be used in all types of circuits?

Yes, the Norton Equivalent can be used in all types of circuits, including DC and AC circuits. However, it is most commonly used in DC circuits.