Linear momentum in a pipe with a 90 degree curve

In summary, the conversation discusses a 2D model involving a steel ball and a pipe in space. The ball has a mass of 1 kg and is traveling at 10 m/s in a straight line going East inside the pipe. The pipe has a 90 degree turn in the shape of a 1/4 circle, causing the ball to change direction from East to South. The ball loses 31% of its momentum due to the turn, and the conversation focuses on understanding how much momentum is transferred to the pipe and in which direction. The conclusion is that the pipe will have a direction of Np + 2.7p.
Billy Berakus
Hi,

This is my first thread related to an idea I have been working on and I would really appreciate some help. My education goes no further than high school, so I am doing my best.

I apologize if I am doing this completely incorrectly. I am truly trying to do my best.

To understand direction in this 2D model, I will use compass directions of N, E, S, W.

We have a 1 kg steel ball that is inside a 10 kg pipe in space. The 1 kg mass is traveling at 10 m per s (ms) in a straight line going East inside the pipe that is at rest in comparison to the 1 kg mass. There is no resitance inside the pipe between the steel ball and the pipe.

The pipe has a 90 degree turn in it, in the shape of a 1/4 circle that causes the 1 kg mass to go from an East direction to a South direction. To describe the corner it has an inside diameter of 1 m with the circumference of the 1/4 circle being equal to 1.57 m. (measured from center of pipe)

When the 1 kg mass starts the corner it is going 10 ms but when it finishes it turn of 1.57 m it will be going 6.9 ms, therefor looses 31% of it's momentum due to the corner.

I need to understand how much momentum is transferred to the pipe, and in which direction??

The way I approached the concept is...

We have two forces that will push the pipe both North as well as East. As the 1 kg ball goes South it will push the pipe in equivalence North, however when it goes East it will push East.

I have been doing some experimenting on my air hockey board to make these assumptions.

1) Ep = East Momentum of 1 kg
Ep = mv
Ep = 1 kg x 10 ms
Ep = 10 p

2) Sp = South Momentum of 1 kg (required to push the 1 kg mass south 1 m)
Sp = mv

a) Need to determine velocity requried
t = d/v
0.157 s = 1.57 m / 10 ms (starting velocity 1 kg)
0.228 s = 1.57 m / 6.9 ms (end of 1/4 circle 1 kg)
------
0.192 s Total of both times divided by 2

v = d/t
v = 1 m / 0.192 s (1 m based on radius of 1/4 circle turn)
v = 5.2 ms

b) Sp = mv
Sp = 1 kg x 5.2 ms
Sp = 5.2 p

3) 1 kg Ball 31 % loss on 90 curve = Momentum (Ep & Sp) x 31%

Ep = 10 p x 31%
Ep = 3.1 p

Sp = 5.2 p x 31%
Sp = 1.61 p

Conclusion:

The momentum Sp will be Np on the pipe, so Np + Ep will equal the direction of the pipe.

Am I close?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you are on the right track. Your conclusion is correct: the momentum lost by the ball (both Ep and Sp) will be transferred to the pipe, resulting in a Np + Ep direction. However, your calculations are slightly off. The velocity of the ball at the end of the curve should be 8.6 ms (not 6.9 ms) and thus the momentum Sp should be 4.3 p (not 5.2 p). The 31% loss would then result in Ep = 2.7 p and Sp = 1.3 p. Therefore, the direction of the pipe should be Np + 2.7p. Hope this helps!

1. What is linear momentum in a pipe with a 90 degree curve?

Linear momentum in a pipe with a 90 degree curve refers to the amount of motion or movement of fluid particles in the pipe as they navigate through the curve.

2. How does the curvature of the pipe affect linear momentum?

The curvature of the pipe can cause a change in the direction of the fluid flow, resulting in a change in the linear momentum of the fluid particles. This change in momentum can lead to pressure differences and other flow characteristics within the pipe.

3. What factors influence the linear momentum in a pipe with a 90 degree curve?

The factors that influence the linear momentum in a pipe with a 90 degree curve include the fluid viscosity, pipe diameter, fluid velocity, and the degree of curvature in the pipe. These factors can impact the amount of resistance and force acting on the fluid particles as they move through the curve.

4. How is linear momentum calculated for a pipe with a 90 degree curve?

The linear momentum in a pipe with a 90 degree curve can be calculated using the equation L = m * u, where L is the linear momentum, m is the mass of the fluid, and u is the fluid velocity. This equation takes into account the mass and velocity of the fluid particles to determine the overall linear momentum in the pipe.

5. What are the practical applications of studying linear momentum in a pipe with a 90 degree curve?

Studying linear momentum in a pipe with a 90 degree curve can help in understanding and predicting the behavior of fluids in different types of pipes and systems. This knowledge can be applied in various industries such as plumbing, engineering, and fluid mechanics, to optimize pipeline design and improve fluid flow efficiency.