Matrix Image and Kernel

In summary: Conversely, any vector not in the kernel of A is projected onto this line. So in summary, the image of a matrix is the kernel, and the zero matrix is the image of the kernel.
tomeatworld

Homework Statement

i) Find the Image and Kernel of A = (2,1)(-4,-2) (where each bracket is a row).
ii) Calculate A2 and use i) to explain your result.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

So I can do everything up to the very last bit (i think anyway).
i) The Kernel = (1,-2) = Image.
ii) A2 = 0 but this is where I don't know what to say. How do I use part i) to explain the 0 matrix found?

Physics news on Phys.org
tomeatworld said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

None

ii) A2 = 0 but this is where I don't know what to say. How do I use part i) to explain the 0 matrix found?
For i, you have the basic idea, but it needs some refinement. The kernel is not just one vector; there are an infinite number of vectors in the kernel of A. Likewise, the range is not just one vector either.

Geometrically, A maps any vector along the line 2x + y = 0 to the zero vector. A maps any vector x not along the the line 2x + y = 0 to a vector along this line. IOW, if x is not in the kernel of A, A projects it onto this line.

For ii, since A2x = A(Ax)think about what A does to a vector x, and then think about what A does to a vector Ax.

OK i think i understand what you mean about the kernel. so applying to to another question, if I have the matrix:

A=[{1,0,-2},{2,2,0},{0,3,6}] and I wanted to find the kernel, I'd reduce it down to:

A=[{1,0,-2},{0,1,2},{0,0,0}] and thus the kernel is:

Ker[A] = f[1,-1,2] where f is any number.

Is that about right?

I think you got the 1's and 2's switched, i.e.

[tex]\textrm{Ker}[A] = \{\vec{x}\in \Re^3\,|\, \vec{x} = f(2,-2,1), f \in \Re\}[/tex]

tomeatworld said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

None

The point here is that the image is the kernel! For any vector v, Av is in the kernel of A so A(Av)= 0.

1. What is a matrix image?

A matrix image is a digital representation of an image in the form of a grid of numbers or pixels. Each pixel in the matrix has a specific value that corresponds to a specific color or shade in the image.

2. What is the kernel of a matrix image?

The kernel of a matrix image, also known as a filter or mask, is a small matrix that is used to process the image by performing mathematical operations on the pixels. It is used in image processing techniques such as blurring, sharpening, and edge detection.

3. How does a matrix image and its kernel affect the resulting image?

The operation of the kernel on the matrix image results in a new matrix image with modified pixel values. The type and size of the kernel used can greatly impact the resulting image, such as smoothing out noise or highlighting certain features.

4. Can a matrix image have more than one kernel?

Yes, a matrix image can have multiple kernels applied to it in a process known as convolution. This allows for more complex image processing techniques, such as blurring and sharpening simultaneously.

5. Are there any limitations to using matrix images and kernels?

One limitation of using matrix images and kernels is that they are not effective for processing images with complex features, such as human faces. Additionally, the size and shape of the kernel can greatly affect the processing time and accuracy of the resulting image.