Proving that two Ln Equations equal each other

• Thread starter Liparulo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ln
In summary, we have the equations y=8^0.01x, which differentiates to 0.01 ln8 x 8^0.01x, and 3x2^3x-200/100 ln2/25, which is given by using derive on a graphics calculator. The task is to prove that these two equations are equal using index and logarithm laws. After several attempts, including simplifying and splitting the equations, it is found that the two equations are indeed equal. The final simplified form of the second equation is (ln(8) * 2^(.03x-2)) / 25, which can be simplified further using properties of exponents.
Liparulo

Homework Statement

y=8^0.01x
Differentiates to: 0.01 ln8 x 8^0.01x
Using derive on a graphics calculator, the answer given is:
3x2^3x-200/100 ln2/25
Prove that the two equal each other using index and logarithm laws.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ah, well, I've had plenty of attempts. I've no idea if any are on the right track, but I'm working backwards from the second equation and have tried to split the equation into three parts to simplify. Needless to say, it didn't work. I've also tried simplifying the top of the equation to no avail. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Liparulo said:

Homework Statement

y=8^0.01x
Differentiates to: 0.01 ln8 x 8^0.01x
Using derive on a graphics calculator, the answer given is:
3x2^3x-200/100 ln2/25
Please use parentheses on the expression above, as it is very ambiguous. Also, do not use 'x' to indicate multiplication since x is a variable in this expression.
Liparulo said:
Prove that the two equal each other using index and logarithm laws.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ah, well, I've had plenty of attempts. I've no idea if any are on the right track, but I'm working backwards from the second equation and have tried to split the equation into three parts to simplify. Needless to say, it didn't work. I've also tried simplifying the top of the equation to no avail. Any help would be appreciated.

What happened to the 2^(-200/100)? What is 3*ln(2)?

I'm probably wrong, but I went:
2(3x/100) - 2
2(3x)0.01
80.01x

But in fact 2(3x/100)-2 = 2(3x/100)/22.

I'm not sure, I just need to prove that the two equations are equal. :|

Yes, if you look carefully, you'll see that your original simplification was wrong, because it forgot the 22 in the denominator. After you fix that, you can simplify further by considering how to condense 3*ln(2).

I'm sorry for sounding dumb, but could you please explain why 22 needs be in the denominator? Does not seem to be a good maths day today.

Before you went from 2(3x/100) - 2 to 2(3x)0.01. These two are not equal, because in the first you are subtracting 2 from the exponent. In other words, the second expression is 22 times bigger than the first.

Hmm, okay then. That did occur to me initially, but I overlooked it because it started to match the other equation. How would you solve it? I've tried a few times to no avail.

Changing to 80.01x is fine, as long as you remember to divide the whole expression by 22. This should get you closer. Next, simplify 3*ln(2).

The result from the calculator was
[tex]\frac{3 ln 2 * 2^{(3x - 200)/100}}{25}[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{ln(2^3) * 2 ^{.03x - 2}}{25}[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{ln(8) * 2^{.03x} * 2^{-2}}{25}[/tex]

I used the fact that ab - c = ab * a-c.
Another property of exponents that will be useful for finishing this is abc = (ab)c.

Ah, I solved it! Thank you very much.

1. What does it mean to prove that two Ln equations equal each other?

Proving that two Ln equations equal each other means showing that they have the same solution or solutions. This means that when you plug in the same values for the variables in both equations, you will get the same result.

2. How do you prove that two Ln equations equal each other?

To prove that two Ln equations equal each other, you can use algebraic manipulation to simplify each equation and show that they are equivalent. You can also graph both equations and show that they intersect at the same point(s).

3. Can two Ln equations be equal to each other if they have different variables?

Yes, two Ln equations can be equal to each other even if they have different variables. As long as they have the same solution(s) when you plug in values for the variables, they are considered equal.

4. Are there any special cases when proving that two Ln equations equal each other?

Yes, there are some special cases to consider when proving that two Ln equations equal each other. For example, if one of the equations has a restricted domain (such as Ln(x) where x>0), you may need to adjust the domain of the other equation to match in order to show that they are equal.

5. How is proving two Ln equations equal each other useful in science?

Proving that two Ln equations equal each other is useful in science because it allows us to validate mathematical models and equations. This can help us make accurate predictions and understand relationships between variables in various scientific phenomena.