Struggling with Dynamics: A Student's Perspective

In summary: And yes, understanding definitions and concepts is crucial for solving problems. As for studying physics, it is best to use a combination of methods, such as reading the textbook, reviewing lecture notes, and seeking help from office hours. It is important to understand the material thoroughly before attempting to solve problems. In summary, it is important to read the textbook, understand definitions and concepts, and have a plan of attack when solving problems in order to succeed in a dynamics course. It is also helpful to use a variety of study methods, such as reading the textbook, reviewing lecture notes, and seeking help from office hours. Continuously practicing and reviewing the material is crucial for success.
cs23
hey everyone,

I have a dynamics course this semester and I'm not doing well.
I don't really read the textbook, i read through the worked examples. I get the idea from there, then start working on problems.

I try to do many problems, but i feel I'm not getting it.Usually i can't solve a problem today that i solved yesterday

My questions are:
When solving problems, are we suppose to plan how we would go about solving the problem. Then once we know the plan start doing it?

Do we need to know definitions before attempting the problems?

Once a good way to study physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you read the textbook? And a second one if you still aren't understanding the concepts? And the lecture notes? And going to office hours to ask questions.

It seems like you are trying to shortcut your way through the class without mastering the material. Apparently, and not surprisingly, your strategy is not succeeding.

If you continue doing the same thing, you will continue to get similar results. Like the previous poster said, you really have to start reading the book, if you want to understand the material better.

But to answer your question: when approaching a problem, your first step should be to *think*. Most people find a simple sketch of the problem helps with this. Yes, you should have a plan of attack in mind before you start calculating.

What is "Struggling with Dynamics: A Student's Perspective"?

"Struggling with Dynamics: A Student's Perspective" is a book written by a student, for students, that provides insight and strategies for understanding and mastering the complex subject of dynamics in physics.

Why is dynamics considered a challenging topic for students?

Dynamics is often considered a challenging topic for students because it deals with the complex concepts of motion, forces, and energy. It requires a strong understanding of mathematical equations and the ability to visualize and apply these concepts to real-world scenarios.

What are some common struggles that students face when learning dynamics?

Some common struggles that students face when learning dynamics include understanding the difference between scalar and vector quantities, grasping the concept of acceleration, and applying Newton's laws of motion to solve problems.

How can "Struggling with Dynamics: A Student's Perspective" help students overcome these challenges?

"Struggling with Dynamics: A Student's Perspective" offers tips and strategies for understanding difficult concepts, practice problems with step-by-step solutions, and real-life examples that help students apply the principles of dynamics. It also provides advice on time management and study techniques to help students succeed in their coursework.

Can "Struggling with Dynamics: A Student's Perspective" be used as a standalone resource for learning dynamics?

While "Struggling with Dynamics: A Student's Perspective" provides valuable insights and tips, it is recommended to use it as a supplement to a textbook or other course materials. It can serve as a helpful tool for reinforcing concepts and providing additional practice problems, but it is not a replacement for a structured course or textbook.